Google

Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Pulchritudinous Poetry

Today is Poetry Tuesday and I am certainly in the mood for poetry for two reasons.

First.The writing prompt for today said to write a poem based on the first thing you see when you read this prompt.


The Second: I would lie to you if I did not think about sharing some poetry today after hearing the doorbell ring this morning and receiving a box which had my first published book with my name on it. 

It's a book of poetry and I am excited. I have been writing poems since I was in the fifth grade and this has always been a goal of mine. The book is entitled Pulchritudinous: The Poetry Collection by Stephanie Jeannot. I started writing these poems in my final year at college and I said that I would stop when I reached 10000 words. I reached that goal and finally, I got it published. 


 
It is available on Amazon here: 
Amazon.com


And so, with the heart for poetry in mind and also with the spirit of Halloween taking over my life today, here are a few poems that I would like to share. These are not found in the book as I wanted to share something different to get you into the mood of poetry. If you like them, maybe you would like my book too.



The Candy Queen


Halloween
Me the Queen
Trampling Leaves
Orange, brown, green;
Could you please
Candy steam
My basket please
For Candy Queen.

And up my sleeve
You’ve probably seen
My crown, my dream
Heaven’s pennies;
My dynasty
Door to door treats
Halloween Queen
Of the Candies



The Colors of Fall



I love the colors of the fall season
The beauty around is my smiling reason
As the trees grow bold and the streets get cluttered
And the cooler nights under thick blankets I slumber
I love the fall fashion long sleeves and boots
I always enjoy the young folks in Halloween suits
And the days fly by and Thanksgiving comes along
Black Friday shopping and malls play Christmas songs
But don’t get me wrong because this is about the colors
As I march down the aisles and the leaves start to flutter
So beautiful the nature of it and my why for loving fall
My heart beats for it faster than runners in NYC’s marathon




Thriller




Thriller, thriller night
Monster mash and orange lights
Haunted houses that make me feel fright
Nightmares rerunning in my mind through twilight

Ghost town and the pumpkin fest
Kids dressed as ghosts and in their Halloween best
Trick o’ treaters knock the dressed up doors right there
Even the house that looks abandoned that puts everyone in fear

Here comes the midnight and Michael Jackson’s song that rings
Zombies take the streets and start one-two-stepping
And the baskets full of candy that rot the teeth a plenty
Thriller night and goblins run the streets a fancy



Time Machine to the 1940s


I took a time machine back in time to the days
Where Ella took the stage and sang so unafraid
And I wore the best of threads with a rose in my hair
And there were dancers jitterbugging almost everywhere
And the jazz orchestra played a tune so sweet
That Ella’s scatting got me onto my feet
And my dress s swayed as I lindy hopped around
And the petals in my hair just kept tumbling down
And Dizzy played a mean solo on his trumpet there
And Bird did his thing as his sound charmed ears
And there I was back in time enjoying the music
And suddenly in walked Bud when I got the news that
If I didn’t get to the time machine in the next five minutes
I’d be stuck there forever and my time was to its limit
And though I didn’t want to part Ella blowing the crowd away
It was time for me to walk on out of there back to today
And I took the sound and let it linger while in the contraption
Back to where I started but with new satisfaction
I saw them live and true it felt like a dream
But what a beautiful culture with mine own eyes to have seen


(Speaking of Time Machines, I also have a tune entitled “Time Machine” off of my first album Finally JNote 
which I hope you’ll check out. 
You can find it on CDbaby here: http://bit.ly/2z1VVVD )



Have a fantastic day! 

34 comments:

  1. These poems are amazing. You really are so talented. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome! I loved writing poetry as a kid too and your love for it really shows in your poems you shared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Wow! You wrote poetry too. That's awesome. I love to write everything.

      Delete
  3. I would love to get a copy of your book. Poems have always been a favorite of mine. You must be so excited to see it in print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed the colors of fall. My 10 year old likes poems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ironically, I have been writing poetry since I was ten years old.

      Delete
  5. Poetry is so beautiful. I love to read poetry when I need some help in my life. It helps me zone in and really listen to myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful and love every word of it. I find it so soothing and calm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for the book, this is amazing. I love all the poems in this post, specially 'The colors of Fall' - I can feel each word of the poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for the compliment. That is awesome. I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  8. Congratulations. I would love to get a copy of your book to read your poetry :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is great to hear. Thank you so much for that.

      Delete
  9. It is like an honour for me to meet a poet like you mam...�� As my Blog posts also deals with poetry on social issues so I am feeling so happy that I got the chance to get your review on one of my six months old poetry exploration..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love these poems. I've only written one poem in my life. My hubby can really write poetry. Congrats on the new book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had the ability to write poetry. Loved the Candy Queen the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow congratulations on publishing your book, that's amazing! I like your take on Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. A good day to come out of yourself and to live as your alter ego for a day.

      Delete
  13. What an exciting milestone for you!! Congratulations! You certainly have a gift for words. The Halloween poem and of course, Thriller :) are my faves!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your poems are so fun to read. You did a great job on these fall ones that highlight the season. Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on your book! It must be really great to work on and finish such a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I was excited to finally see the fruit of my labor.

      Delete
  16. Wow! You are really Talented woman! I love your poem! Congrats on your book!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! You are really wonderful lady! I have read your poems and love it! Congrats to launch your book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and you are wonderful too. Thank you for blessing me with your words today.

      Delete
  18. Congratulations! I use to love poetry a lot when I was in high school, I even wrote some along the line. Growing up, I kind of lost hold of it. This surely reminds me of myself a bit,it was really amazing reading your poem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Well at least it was a way for you to dig deep into yourself. And thank you for the compliments about my poems.

      Delete
  19. I enjoyed reading your poems, thanks for sharing your talents. I am also a writer, but I haven't had a chance to write poetry in a while, maybe I'll get inspired soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is my favorite kind of poems. Your words are just glued to each other, I love it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so inspired now to writing poems from prompts. I took a great poetry class in school that had us write one poem a day based on a prompt, then there were prompt challenges every so often where we had to create our own and explain why we chose that one. - Alexia

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your Thriller poem was my favorite! Really great job, can't wait to read more :)

    ReplyDelete