Google

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Music is a Pastime for Hobbyists; True or False?

“The music stuff is just a hobby” (Tom Felton); true or false?

One of the strongest singers in the young small band that I work with today got a bit discouraged while rehearsing her song. She started doubting in her skill as a singer though she has one of the dopest voices you will hear from a young person.

It made me a little bit sad to see it and so, as we approached the topic of not using the disabling word “can’t” in my presence as far as her singing is concerned, I asked her if she wanted to pursue music in the future as a professional vocalist and she told me that  her dad said that music is just a hobby.

Ever since she told me that, it has been on my mind. Some people do music as a hobby.
They embrace music at home and every now and then, you may see them at an open mic jam or karaoke event or something but they do it as a form of pure satisfaction. It makes them happy and they are not tied to it as a thing they can't live without doing.  

Then there are some who take music a bit more seriously, practice every day and invest money and time in some type of education to better their skill. They also take their art, share it and are compensated for music as a service that is being provided. 

This post is dedicated to all the artists who invest in and gain almost as much knowledge as people pursuing vocations in any other professional atmosphere besides musical ones, work their asses off to do what they do as musicians, are always on time and present where they are committed to be and share their uniqueness as more than just a hobbyist but on a professional level, but who are seen as just having fun and not taken seriously.


Professionalism is a frame of mind not a paycheck” (Cecil Castle)
Hobbyist
Professional
What is a hobbyist?
What is a professional?

A hobbyist is a person who regularly or occasionally engages in an activity as a hobby or pastime rather than as a profession and free from the demands of work or duty


A professional is someone with specialized knowledge and often long and intensive academic preparation in the theories on a specific focus, who is seriously engaged or qualified to do what they do vocationally and with a businesslike manner in order to fulfill specific demands or duties as a service and for compensation
Music as a Pastime?
Music with a business-like ethic?

A professional is someone who can do his best work when he doesn’t feel like it
(Alistair Cooke).


 
Songwriter's Market 40th Edition
Pastime
Demands
What is a pastime?
What are demands?

A pastime is something that amuses and serves to make time pass more agreeably; like a hobby with no time constraints, commitments or obligation. A pastime is done on one’s free time.


Demands are the requirements of work or of the expenditure of a resource to fulfill obligatory tasks, conduct services or functions that arise from one’s positions, even on days when life has a way with you and you are committed to fulfilling a need for the service being offered; such as a performance engagement. Requires dedication and lots of prayer.

In other words a hobby is done for fun?
So you mean music as a profession requires devotion?

A hobby keeps the doldrums away” (Phyllis McGinley).


 
Pastime Paradise

Vocations are born in prayer and from prayer;
and only in prayer can they preserve and bear fruit” (Pope Francis).

Fun
Devoted
What is fun?
What is being devoted?

Something that provides amusement and personal pleasure without turning it into work or something that they cannot live without.


Seriously considering one’s art or music as a profession, making a big commitment to focus on the work and its demands by giving as much time and energy to it as is required with love for what is being done while continually pursuing professional development, promoting the work, pursuing profit, and confidently building on experience and integrity.

Oh, so a hobby is a creative passion?
Oh, so music as a profession is a combination of creativity, responsibility and professionalism?

Now there is nothing wrong with someone having an opinion because if we all thought exactly the same way, life would be a bit bland, but there is something you should know about those who do pursue music on a serious and professional level.  

We are musicians and yes, we bleed, breathe and live like music is the heartbeat inside of our bodies. We pursue music with love both as a love and as a professional thing and it is something quite like oxygen that makes our lives complete. 


We take our music seriously and it is not just a thing of fun for us. It is something we value as a serious life work, many of us and, without music, as they say, life would be like a room without a window. 

What are your thoughts on this? 

31 comments:

  1. Music is more than a hobby. It is a passion. It is a freedom. People find hope, love, and a desire to be better through music. I think music is one of those things that everyone should have the chance to love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Music is way more then a hobby. It is a passion for a lot of people. It is a lot of hard work to become a working musician.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you broke it down with logics and supporting statements. I think it can either like you have described. It varies person to person.

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think music definitely surpasses being just a hobby. It is definitely a talent and passion and requires a lot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Music is far more than a hobby! It is totally a way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My ex-husband is a professional musician. It definitely required practice, investment, and dedication. Unfortunately, it didn't pay the bills very well, though. It's a shame, too because he was so talented and has such a love for the art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really interesting post, I've fast these types of questions when I wanted to study art at shool, people questioned if it was a worth while course or if it was just a hobby. Also, I think the young musician is very lucky to have someone so caring and knowledged as yourself to keep her encouraged if she does want to persue it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think music can inspire all kinds of creativity. It's accessible for all kinds of people who like different things. I'm sure our brains respond to music in beneficial ways too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually know people who are both. There are some that sing for fun because they love it but I also have many friends who are in the music entertainment industry as a career. I think either way, as long as it makes you happy. I don't play any instrument but would love to learn the piano as a hobby someday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me if you like sometime it is your passion and how it matters whether past time or not till the time you are loving it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I could sing and be a musician like you. I love listening to music, but I can't sing. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It definitely can be either. But, to really get somewhere you gotta put your heart and soul into more than a hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Music is such a beautiful art, a passion for many. I love the listen and get lost in the words and songs. I love music so much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think most people started music as a hobby but if they're really good, they eventually turns their passions to become a professional singer. I know many country singers started it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really love listening music and this is one of my hobby while reading books. I can sing to but not that much. Lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love music and listening to it. I attempt to play it on a piano, but I am a beginner. My strength lies in listening.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with your article right now. You wrote is so good, it really touched me. Every single word. My husband is a musician (literally, he plays everything) and I am learning myself as well. Music is the thing never leaving your side...

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a huge music enthusiast I'll definitely consider music more than a hobby. It's a beautiful art and I honestly wouldn't get through one day without it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your article. I don't know why so many people consider music is a hobby, and even look down on other who pursue music as a professional. You may not know that I stan a group, not ever since their debut, but I'm proud that I know them, and exist at the same time with them. Evne though they have experienced too much pain and suffering, their music is healing and soothing as always. I love them.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think music is more than a hobby, it's a way of life, one I think all musically talented people should pursue.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think it really depends on the person as for some it is just a hobby and others do it professionally. Either way I think its an amazing talent to have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I played flute as a kid and I kinda regret that I didn’t take it more seriously. At the time it was just a hobby, but I do wish I was more passionate about it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Music is an art. It's a beautiful way to express yourself. I played the clarinet for 10 years and I loved the fact that I could read music. It was like being one of the few people to read music. I love how passionate you are about.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, I agree!! Music is pastime hobby. Sometimes While I reading books and at the same time I always listen with my favorite calming and soothing music.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how you cleared up everything! If you love music and you're able to change things with music, then definitely, its more than just a hobby.

    ReplyDelete