Google

Monday, October 30, 2017

Music Gives Wings to The Mind

There are so musicians, bands and songs that inspire me as a vocalist. It is always pleasurable for me to  listen to music and to discover new sounds and artists.

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind,
flight to the imagination, & life to everything
-Plato




Spotify has this challenge to create a playlist of the top 100 songs and I can say that I have been listening more and more to the different artists and music on Spotify lately; especially since I currently have a new project on the platform entitled “We Are People United” on there.

You can check out the album here: https://open.spotify.com/album/3BWB0RVMeXhAnWORuEzHLf





Prompts and Ideas


I am always up for a good challenge or ideas to be prompted by; especially in writing because I want to be able to write as much as I can. Through the process of trying to gain ideas, I came across this book that has benefitted me a lot to put pen to paper and write new songs, poetry, blog posts and more. The book is entitled 365 Journal Writing Ideas Plus 400 Quotes: A Year of Daily Writing Prompts, Questions & Actions To Fill Your Journal With Memories, Self-Reflection, Creativity & Direction by Rossi Fox and I really like it.

It is sorted by the day of the year and has prompts that can make you reflect and gain ground in storming. This is always a good benefit for any writer in my opinion because this is a way to prevent writer’s block when getting into the process when scribing is necessary. For me, it seems like it is a need everyday as is water and sleep because, I can honestly say that there is not a day that goes by without me writing something. This book  helps with more directional writing if needed. Perhaps it can help to enhance your writing as it has for me in many ways. 


365 Journal Writing Ideas


One of the prompts read like this: List your favorite musicians, bands and song. And so, here we go, exploring my favorite five on my favorite topic that the world has to offer; music.


Five of My Favorite Musicians





I was born with music inside of me.  Music was one of my parts.
Like my ribs, my kidneys, my liver, my heart.
Like my blood. It was a force already within me when I arrived on the scene.
It was a necessity for me.  – like food or water.”
Ray Charles


1. Sarah Vaughan



I have loved her for a very long time. Her voice was amazing. I don’t think that there is anything that she couldn’t do with her voice. Her range was amazing. And my favorite thing about her voice was her low tone. 

A friend of mine knew that I loved Sarah Vaughan so much, that he gave me a DVD that featured about 500 songs that she has done in her musical career. Of all the artists out there past and present, she is who I listen to the most.  

I currently have just over 18 hours of music in my library that feature her voice.  I also have two DVDs featuring her live concerts. I am constantly searching for new live footage of her on Youtube and also indulged in the book Sassy: The Life of Sarah Vaughan which I found quite interesting to take a deeper look into her life and her being, aside from just the music. I love her.


Sassy: The Life Of Sarah Vaughan


2. Prince

I think Prince was amazing. There are so many layers to him and so much music by him that I am discovering. I think he was a genius at writing and getting into the groove of the music. His songs are tight and so enjoyable. And I really like his voice.

I read a book on his life entitled I Would Die 4 You by Toure and it was excellent reading about his life, musical journey and everything about what made him who he is. 


I Would Die 4 U: Why Prince Became an Icon

3. Miles Davis

I have always loved listening to the way that he played his music but I don’t think I liked him as much as I do now after conducting research to write my college thesis on jazz, identity and racism, came across his book Miles: The Autobiography and read some really interesting things about his life and his personality. I loved his response to stigmas and I appreciated how he came across growing as a musician and individual in the world. He played that trumpet so well and I really like listening to his music. 


Miles


4. Whitney Houston

I can’t think of a day that I did not love Whitney Houston. I don’t think I was as devastated hearing of a musician’s passing as I was when she did. I cried as if she was a family member because I have lived her since I was a little girl.

If I could credit to anyone for the big voice I have that can carry very loud and fill an auditorium without a microphone, I would give it Whitney Houston. I used to spend entire afternoons singing her songs to the four walls of my basement and used to always choose songs by her to go out and sing in live settings.

I have every album she has ever made and can actually claim as my truth that I will always love her voice, her movie The Bodyguard and the songs that she was known for; especially Saving All My Love which is still my favorite song by her. 


The Bodyguard (Special Edition)

5. Dizzy Gillespie

I love Dizzy Gillespie. He was an amazing musician and I love the music that he contributed to the world. I have grown to love his personality more and more as I watched many documentaries or interviews where he was speaking with an interviewer. I love how he spoke with such knowledge, intelligence and attitude. I also read a few excerpts from his book To Be or Not to Bop and I really loved some of things he talked about in regards to the culture of jazz and its music. I listen to his music a lot and I admire what he contributed to the world as a world-class musician. 


To Be, or Not . . . to Bop


Five of my Favorite Bands


1. Wilerm Delisfort Project

This is a current band that is often performing live at Smoke Jazz and I love the music that I hear coming from them. Slick sounds and fresh to the ear.

If you have not heard them yet, you definitely need to get down to Smoke Jazz located at 2751 Broadway in Harlem, NY for their Sunday late night session to see them live.

I think you will really enjoy them.



2. Paradyce

A nice group of musicians who recently released a studio project entitled East to Egypt featuring seven really cool jazz tracks of songs that you will just be bopping to. The NYC based group features keyboardist Steve Palmer, drummer David Griffin and saxophonist Saxy Ric. I recently had the opportunity to interview them on my radio show, Jazz on the JNote which originally aired on WNYE 91.5 FM on August 6, 2017. You can check out Part one of the interview here: https://youtu.be/QIobFFVze4c





3. Sade
Who doesn’t love the group Sade? And who can say that they do not enjoy listening to the lead singer Sade Anu sing away? I think I can sing all their songs back and forth and I love everything that they do. Such cool songs and a great, mellow vibe that comes from them. This is one group that I never get tired of listening to. Beautiful tone, amazing songs.


4. Out of Eden
I love out of Eden and I can listen to their music all day long. Out of Eden is an all-girl Gospel group of sisters which featured Lisa Kimmey, Andrea Kimmey-Baca, and Danielle Kimmey. I learned about them years ago through this music promotion site who would introduce artists and their music, I think the site was called What’s Hot Now.

But anyway, they have some amazing soulful Gospel songs sung to R&B influenced beats that I just love. I was even able to teach a few of their songs to the youth choir at Mt Moriah Baptist church when I was the choir director there and the young people loved it.

They had six studio albums which I have all of them, with my favorite being No Turning Back: an album that featured ten up-beat and beautiful songs that I simply love. 


No Turning Back

5. Earth Wind & Fire

I love, love, love Earth Wind & Fire and everything that they sang and the fire they brought onto the stage with them each time that they performed. I never get bored listening to their songs with my favorite being Sing a Song because that is my favorite thing to do; sing. LOL!

I also appreciate many of the songs that they wrote for many of the artists I enjoy listening to such as Deniece Williams and the Emotions.



Five of My Favorite Songs




1. Who Ja Bless by Qew Lunel
Beautiful words. Very uplifting. Nice sound. Great song. https://open.spotify.com/track/1PW2SEzE4l7Ej518M2aJTB


2. Wherever You Are by Stephanie Jeannot
Still a favorite of mine. I think I love that I wrote and produced the entire song it is such a special tune for me. I love performing it and it is one of the few tunes I have shared at a live setting here and abroad.


3. Courage by Sarah Vaughan
I love the words on this song. Such a pretty tune. I love the way Sarah sings this song and every time I hear it, it leaves a beautiful feeling inside.


4. Back for Good by Take That
I have loved this song since I was in high school. The job I worked at used to play 106.7 Lite FM all day long and this tune was constantly being aired. I have adored it ever since. Such a pretty melody. I love it a lot.


5. Aint Misbehavin by Fats Waller
I love this song. I started liking it when I first saw my favorite movie Stormy Weather and saw the composer of it, Fats Waller,  being his humorous self on the piano, tickling away and singing this song. Awesome tune and once of may favorites to perform live.


Stormy Weather

Et Vous?

It would be wrong of me to not include you into this musical favorites theme. I would love to hear about the musicians, bands and songs that you love the most. Care to share? 

Perhaps you can guide me on a new path of discovery. I would love to hear your favorites. Who do you love to listen to and what are your favorite songs? 

58 comments:

  1. I have loved Prince since I was a teenager. I was so sad to learn of his passing. I will have to check out these other musicians.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. He was so talented. Can't believe he is gone but thank God we can still hold his music and memory in our hearts.

      Delete
  2. What a fun challenge. It would be hard to narrow it down but I love many of the artists and songs you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent choices but I have to say my favorite is Earth, Wind and Fire.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is into music, me not so much. I know he likes Earth Wind and fire

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh! I think the challenge for me would be whittling down a Top 5, but Prince and Miles Davis would both be at the top of that list. From there, I'd be pulling my hair out trying to see who didn't make the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It wasn't easy Alicia. Oh you like Prince too. Wssn't he amazing?

      Delete
  6. You have such great taste in music Stephanie and your voice is really amazing. I watch your Harmony video again and suddenly realized that you remind me a bit of Cesària Évora. Have you listened to any of her music?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is so awesome to hear. No, I have never heard of Cesaria Evora but going to check other out now. Thank you so much for sharing this artist with me.

      Delete
  7. That book about writing prompts sounds fantastic & I really should look into getting it. I love Prince & Whitney too. Thanks for reminding me of Touré's book! I follow him on Twitter & still forgot that I wanted to read that book. I love music and have since I was a kid. I was in band for a few years and in chorus from 8th-12th grade. I worked at a music/media store in my late teens. I briefly wrote for a local music magazine in college & currently work for an independent radio promo company. Even though I want to blog full time, I know that music will always be a huge part of my life. Even though I love many artists, one of my all time favorites is Butch Walker. He's known for producing Fall Out Boy, Pink, & Panic at the Disco, but I've been a fan since I first saw him perform when I was 17. Some musicians stay with you forever. ☺️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Toure's book is really good. I found out so many things about Prince and a few of his songs that I hadn't realized about him before and then it made sense. Ooh! I have to check out Butch Walker.

      Delete
  8. I know all the singers and bands by name but actually never listened to any of their songs. I should give a go to the list of songs you gave and expand my musical horizons

    ReplyDelete
  9. I listen to music but not much. I'm not familiar to all the listed bands and musicians and the songs as well except Whitney Houston. I have heard your voice and I was amazed because your voice is so beautiful. I'm looking forward to listen to "Wherever You Are" by you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whitney Houston was the best at what she did. I love her. Thank you in advance for listening to Wherever You
      Are

      Delete
  10. I love everything that you have mentioned here! Music really helps me get through some tougher times.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Music can certainly be an amazing and positive thing! Sometimes it is important to just put on something you love to listen to and dance your heart out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still getting used to all these singers and thanks to my son who keeps on playing these songs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not familiar with some of these artists and bands, but I'm always a fan of finding new music to enjoy. I'll be listening!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is a nice playlist here, I like listening to different kinds of music too. Thank you for your recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Is it bad that my era is Taylor Swift? I love Bruno Mars too and knows a couple of Prince songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taylor Swift is not so bad though. I like her music. I like Bruno Mars too.

      Delete
  16. I enjoy listening to music and my playlist is a good mix of different genres. Some of my favorite singers included Jill Scott, Ronald Isley and Angie Stone. Recently I have been listening to Jazz when I want to relax and found it really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think you already know that i am fan of yours already. You have a very unique sound. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a nice compliment. Thank you so much for that. :)

      Delete
  18. I am not aware of many of these musicians since I grew up listening to Hindi music mostly. I so know and like Whitney Houston though :)

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I have yet to explore Hindi music but now that you mentioned it, I will be.

      Delete
  19. Such an amazing list of such talented artists. I loved Prince too, many of his songs make me feel so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow. I had no idea. I love Spotify and use it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  21. There are so many of my favorite artists on this list. I love Sarah Vaughn and Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm not familiar with all the listed bands but i have heard some and i love them1!! I love Spotify

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a great list of artists. It's awesome to know what you are into.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love music. It definitely can set a specific mood and also allow you to experience the environment or food you are enjoying in a more vivid way. You have some great artists on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love music - no matter what genre - as long as it sounds good, then I am your man

    ReplyDelete
  26. You have such a great taste in music as I love music. this is such a great list

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Spotify is seriously awesome. I am legit using it as the backdrop for my wedding - why pay a DJ when I can play what I want when I want with spotify instead?

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love that Prince was included in this list. He is quite fabulous. I think on my list of favorite bands would be the Beatles. They are quite classic. Also I've always loved a folk band called Iron and Wine.

    ReplyDelete
  30. You have a very unique track. and did you know that I am a fan of yours? Yes!!! I always listening your songs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is awesome. Thank you so much. I love it. So encouraging. Thank you! :)

      Delete
  31. I love all of your picks! We have the same music tastes!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I listen few of your songs, and you are so impressive and talented. You had a gifted voice. I am looking forward to check more of your tracks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is great Elizabeth. Thank you so much. You made me smile .

      Delete
  33. I agree with a lot of your picks. Prince and Whitney are in my top 5 of all time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Prince and Whitney will always be a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  34. You have a great taste in music! I also love listening to your music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you so much. I appreciate that. God bless!

      Delete
  35. I really love listening good musics. and this is such a great play list. Lots of beautiful and interesting songs. I will definitely check this out.

    ReplyDelete