Google

Thursday, October 5, 2017

Stage Fright Happens . . . Why Faith is a Singer's Most Important Weapon!

It takes baby steps of trust to get on to a stage and to leap forward with a song to share; especially for those who haven’t really performed in front of a crowd much.

I hear it a lot. Miss Stephanie, I’m shy. Miss Stephanie, I can’t sing louder on the stage; my voice might crack. Miss Stephanie, I don’t want to go on the stage by myself. Miss Stephanie I don't want to sing because the guy I like is sitting in the room.

You might not be swimming in agreement with all the things that could happen while you are on stage.  You could fall and embarrass yourself in front of a multitude of people. You could hit a bad note. You could forget your lyrics and melody. You could freeze and be so afraid that you shake the whole time, while you are singing. You could be moving around and your heel breaks. You could not open your mouth enough and fall flat. Your peers could be so displeased with your performance that they start gossiping about you and make you feel so inadequate that you decide you no longer want to do what you were called to do.

But then you could also thrive as you bring life to your music.  You could convey an idea that influences someone in the audience. And you can also be as hot as a blazing fire. You just never know!

It is completely normal to have stage fright. I would even go to the gamut of saying that it might be a little weird if from time to time, you do not experience it. But courage must endure.

Don’t complicate a simple live musical engagement chained to the prison of your doubts. The adventure is a bit more extraordinary when you make an honest effort with an element of self-trust.

Trust that you can do a good job. Trust that you have what it takes. Trust that you can give it your best shot. Trust that you can win and succeed.

Nobody is perfect. Everybody makes mistakes. Every day is a learning experience. And if you are someone who has failed to learn new things in your daily lives, you probably are not really living.

To succeed at anything, you must take a chance. Don’t be so afraid of the gift that God gave you that you miss the opportunities to use it in the way that he created you to. Get on the stage, scan the crowd with excitement and don’t allow even a flicker of doubt to discourage you. Use your gossamer wings to take on the daunting task.

Give your audience your most focused attention and don’t let them know your fear. Have a semblance of power. Stay emotionally focused and bring that dramatic fire to them. Promote your cultural diversity as you were meant to; one tiny leap at a time. The first leap: venture out onto the stage and smile with confidence and say hello, my name is . . . You’ll find that it is not really that necessary to wall off your heart because the feeling of sharing your gift is immensely beautiful. Then the conversation will no longer be Miss Stephanie I can't but Miss Stephanie, I did. How exciting is that! 

The fact that you are standing on the shoulders of giants who came way before you might shift your mindset and put you in a more relaxed lifestyle. Every pro was a beginner. Every beginner has to start fresh from somewhere. Every fresh start builds up character. Draw on the decades of accumulated sounds, singers, musicians and music as a whole that you have been influenced by. Being who you are organically doesn’t require that much effort. Get on the stage and be the fabulousness that you are. 

Don’t let anything ever dilute your trust in God. He gave you your gift for a reason and that is an unwavering belief. Make sure you never let go of that truth and include him in everything to understand your role in this by and by; even into your performances. And even after the performances because faith is a great weapon to have in every situation. And knowing how emotionally based sharing your talent really is, you never know how as a person you might be affected by your own strength if you come to a point where your cup was less than full and you couldn't do what you always have been able to do without problems; especially as a singer since your body is your instrument. A cold, tiredness, and mental well-being can change everything. Faith can be the cure. You can have improvisational skills, know every chord backwards and forwards. You can know all the different possible harmonies you could use to make the song pretty. But if you do not have faith, you need to add that to your musical tool kit. 


Regardless if it is your first time or your hundred thousandth, you can still get stage fright so do not feel like you are alone in your experience. It still happens every now and then to almost everybody. The important thing is to take your fears head on and to do what you were designed to do with enthusiasm. You got this! 

Speaking of stage fright., it is crazy to think that even after all this time, sometimes I get those butterflies in my stomach, get on the stage and shake with fright as I start to vocalize into the mic. Such was the case one night at this beautiful venue in Novorossiysk, Russia. We drove from Kransodar to Novorossiysk and after 6 hours on the road, we made it; only for me to have about thirty minutes to compose myself before we had soundcheck and then the show. So I was nervous. And then I looked at all the unfamiliar faces and there came the shaking. SMH! 

Check out footage from that concert. It was a live performance of my original song "Wherever You Are" with the Sergey Koronev Project here:  https://youtu.be/MoW_UmKqUPo

All I can say is, thank God that my fear subsided!  

THANK YOU FOR CHECKING OUT MY BLOG POST! 

24 comments:

  1. I could never do this. Well, I CAN but I don't want to and will do everything in my power to avoid situations like this. I give who props to those who can. I don't just have stage fright, I have social anxiety! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have stage fright real bad. I have received invites to go on TV and have passed on them

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this! I could neve imagine singing in front of people!! (Then again I'm tone deaf!!) But seriously in college I took a public speaking class, got to the door, panicked and ran away haha 😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you don't face your fears you will never succeed. Doing what comes easy will never stretch your imagination or talents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stage fright can happen to anyone. But you will never succeed unless you try, and the road to success is lined with failure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have stage fright really bad and it has held me back a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never used to have stage fright. I used to do plays and theaters as a kid. Now I think I would be nervous to get in front of a huge audience. Funny how things change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so true. But wow. You used to do plays and theatre. Nice to know something about you.

      Delete
  8. I am not a performer but I do a fair amount of public speaking. I think nerves come with the territory.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Reading this reminded me of the ONE time I got enough courage to sign at church. It was a Christmas song. One minute into the song and I saw the floor getting closer and closer and my palms were sweaty. I don't even remember finishing the song! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Marielle. But at least you did it. Good for you. LOL

      Delete
  10. It is so normal to have some stage fright. I think that the best way to think of anything like this is just to BREATHE.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a great post. I do believe it won't be normal not to have stage freight in a performers life at some point or another. Fear is something that can hold us back from doing something that could move us forward in life. It is so true we need to over come our fears to achieve our accomplishments. Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not a musician, but I know that stage fright is a real thing for many people. I remember having to give speeches and having to get in a "good place" where I felt focused and confident that I would do a great job.

    ReplyDelete