Google

Monday, October 2, 2017

Having Your Own Song And Dance

As time passes by, it is a true thing that we improve, evolve and persist with effortless grace.

We grow and we weave into our lives, our own patterns of thought and opinion. 

Some of the things that might have touched us at the core when we were teeny boppers, no longer move us. Especially with the years of sophisticated knowledge that we have accumulated as the days passed us by, and we somehow no longer feel so attached to the cultural mainstream because we learned to have independence of mind. 


In other words, we are all works in progress and the more we age, the more we become our own intricate sidewalk ballet dance.

Aspiring Artists

As music lovers who also have braved the walk of trying to share something as personal as our own art that emerges from the depths of our soul, our taste in what we indefatigably listen to even changes over the years. We often become disconnected from the majority and it is not so important to be drawn by what everybody else is listening to, and we develop our own unique style.



I can say in truth that tradition never goes out of style. I don’t think there is a day in my life that I will ever not enjoy Haitian Compas music or Christian hymns because I grew up listening to them and fell in love with them, even before I flowered my own thoughts in my mind. These tones hung in the air for years and years and may never antiquate but some of the things I was listening to in grade school or high school are not things you will find on my Ipod or Spotify playlist, while some others are. If you are someone who addresses people through your art, then your heart may gravitate towards something else; something different than you used to love back in your history and much different that what you initially thought you’d actually enjoy.

I guess, we always have a hope that we can reinvent the wheel in some way and with our breadth of knowledge, create a budding interest in the public sphere; especially in our family and peers. I mean, what aspiring musician doesn’t want their family to think that working on their priceless art is not a waste of time and effort and worth the escapade?   

Our Own Song and Dance

Not every upbeat, catchy tune is for everybody. And though many may be enamored by a tune created more than 800 miles away doesn’t mean that you have to be grounded in love for it. But it is also important to know that the boisterous sounds of today are not the only things that should gain our appeal. If it is, it may be time to expand your knowledge of music.

Maybe you can balance between some of the new and the old. Take a step back and clamor to the sounds that paved the way for what music we have been blessed to listen to today. It is not uncommon at all to fall in love with an antique sound and to be transformed by it.

I can honestly say that I am very influenced by many artists; both of yesterday and today. It is a thrill to my heart to have access to such great music. It was a rude awakening to me to come to find that it was mostly the music of the past that generated motivation in me. Call me an old soul but, the artists of the past seem to have abundant strength and stamina to be able to reach for the stars with every element of their being to be where they worked so hard to be, and it is very encouraging.

For instance, less than 100 years ago, there were no microphones. Singers like opera singer Marion Anderson had to use her own body mechanisms to create a beefy sound with her voice and sing over orchestras of more than ten or more pieces with marvelous intensity. We have the crutch of a microphone and rely on its mechanics to create the solution of sound in a venue. Not saying it is a bad thing because it is such a wonderful thing that we have it a little bit easier, but, that type of power that these artists had; incredible.  Another example is the jazz musicians who had to face discrimination, Jim-Crowism, rejection based on race, being denigrated against because anything that came from people of color was considered savagery, and endless squabbling over prejudices, they still worked towards upward mobility and came to sit in this position of inspiration for streams of people all across the world. And to think that we might feel a little bit unenthused if we go to an open jam session that features musicians who are there more in a competitive state rather than one of a welcoming nature at a platform meant to simply share who you are. These jazz musicians had to endure it and still did what they had to do. 

 
In This Arsenal of Musical Expression

I guess I weaved in this in-depth conversation to say to young singers that they should spend time opening their ears and their hearts to some of the past musicians and singers that skillfully handled this thing called music. Not only will it increase your arsenal of musical expression, but you will find more emotional intensity and also bring more meaning to what you already do.

Listening to singers like Ariana Grande brings change to my world but I am also riding high when I listen to Minnie Ripperton hitting those amazing whistle tones. The music of Beyonce gets me feeling electric. But then I hear a song by the group Lambert, Ross, and Hendrickson, and it warps boundaries for me. Listening to Khalid sing the song “Location” works so effectively on my ears while the ecstatic flow of Donny Hathaway’s rendition of “What’s Going On” strokes the feathers of the skylark that I am. 

Ella Fitzgerald seemed to be always on point. Whitney Houston used such great dynamics. Amel Larrieux won me over when she was a part of “Groove Theory” and since I have every album of hers and have seen her in concert about five times. Faith Hill gets me feeling all tender. Renee Fleming makes my heart weep with joy. Beres Hammond’s music adds fuel to my day. Kim Burrell’s songs gives me a reason to project positivity and Betty Carter makes me want to explore newness in so many countless ways.

Lately, discovering music that I have yet to know has become a worthy pursuit of mine. I find myself absorbing information through the medium of books that leads me to discovery elsewhere. And how fortunate are we to be able to simply go to Youtube, Spotify or Apple Music, etc., to find music from artists that have paved the way, even if they are no longer with us? I have been influenced more than I could have ever imagined and I know that I have barely touched the surface. There’s so much more to discover. 

I say, let yourself be exposed to different things than what you are currently listening to. You never know how a piece of sound art can harmonize with you. You never know how much you might truly enjoy a piece of music that has been a part of this world for over 75 years or has been here even 200 years before our time. You may find that mixing things up is something you love with your whole heart. And what is better than change that leaves you swept up with ideas?

Side Note

Maybe you might be interested in checking out some of mine. I have a website which gets more into who I am, my music, and features some of my past performances and pictures from various shows I had the opportunity to perform in. 

You can check it out at http://www.jnotemusic.com

I am also on Facebook where I post different music related things including videos and upcoming events. You can check out my facebook page and if you feel inclined to like it, please do. http://www.facebook.com/jnotemusic

I am also in Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/musiqal1


And I have a youtube page: http://www.youtube.com/sj1and0

Et Vous?



So what music do you gravitate towards? Are you a radio person? Do you find the feeling of utter peace by listening to classical music? Are you influenced by the 600 million users on Instagram who share their favorite song choices? What kind of music drives you home and leaves you feeling triumphant? Are you even a music person at all? 

Thank you so much for checking out my blogpost! Much love to you. 


16 comments:

  1. Music is something that can be taken so literal and at the same time taken lightly. Music is for souls and travels through our ears to make our souls come alive. I love that you listed so many different styles of music and how they affect you in different ways, Bring to light that not everyone will that the same epiphany that you have but will have their own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post speaks so closely to me. I am always struggling to find a balance between the new me and old me. And re-analyzing my views and opinions which match the 'new' me. I love this line you wrote - "We grow and we weave into our lives, our own patterns of thought and opinion."

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice, I am always trying new songs or all different genre's. I don't tend to rule out artists based on their style - instead I'll listen to it and judge my like or dislike soley on the one track. I can tell you for sure I am not listening to most of the bands I did in highschool. I honestly find some of them too depressing now and prefer happier beats! I've loved learning about your on going musical discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. music is so personal I think. I love the radio but then I love CD's too! I love a good mix and it totally depends on how I feel on the day

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this Stephanie. Any kind of music that tells a real story appeals to me. But when the story becomes repetitive or it's just a bunch of screaming lunatics I tune out completely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. Not every upbeat tune is for everybody and personally I love the old school music. They are timeless and they make more sense lol. You have an awesome voice btw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First, I am so jealous of musicians because they get to share their thoughts which normally resonates with many people. I wish I had that form of expression. Then, I love love music because it resonates well with me, I am a deep lover and strongly believe in love so I always want to listen to love music. Thats the music in me, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Music is such an amazing outlet, keep writing! You have a great way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dedication to music you posted. You are right music is definitely different than it was 100 years ago I forgot their was a time there was no mics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I find myself listening to older artists or artists that I grew up listening to more than current artists. There are current artists that I love, but I feel like radio is over saturated with music that sounds the same & says a whole lot of nothing. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I love a good pop song that's kind of...basic with its lyrics, but I usually want something with more substance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Reading this somehow makes me contemplate about my career as an actor or artiste. It is depressing at times when I couldn't even see my own talent and when I'm not being picked up by people~

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is great that music in your inspiration and that it means so much to you! I think it's important to find our true loves in life and stick to them, believe and try to make them ours. I like music but I never thought at it like an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're right: Tradition nor classic EVER goes out of style. Music does and means so many different things for so many different people.

    Cute Fun Fringe Sweater
    www.keepingupwithcandy.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's why I love music so much! It's so customizable and you can listen to music that fits your personality style.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Music, is soothes my heart, my soul and helps me with my emotions. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like listening to smooth music, its soothes my heart, relax and calming my inner soul.

    ReplyDelete