Google

Saturday, November 4, 2017

Let's Talk About Driving Drowsy From Gigs

It’s nothing new under the sun that the tongue holds immense power. We speak and have the power to change people’s minds in either a positive or negative way. This week I want to use mine to talk about driving drowsy.

Driving drowsy is a passionate topic for me because a few years back, I happened to be driving drowsy. I had slept only but one hour the night before and spent the long day busy doing things, then went to a gig doing the very taxing thing of singing live only to drive home more exhausted than I should have been, and it took just one second of me closing my eyes while behind the wheel to have an accident that left bewildering hurt and altered my life in so many ways. How many times can I say that I have driven tired coming from late night gigs in the past with my eyes closing at traffic lights or stops and nothing as immense as this has ever happened. But it only takes one time and you just never know when it will be. 

I can’t even explain to you the mental calisthenics that I have been through ever since and though I survived it without a scratch on my body, I still muster sympathy for the fact that it happened. My car was nearly totaled but I was okay. If anything proved to me the power of faith and that God truly is love, it was the moment that I realized the precious cargo of the woman that he created in me's life was spared.




Thankful that God kept me and I’m still here to talk about my testimony. Unfortunately, it is not the same for many others.


“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration conservatively estimates that 100,000 police reported crashes each year are caused primarily by drowsy driving and that such crashes result in more than 1,550 deaths, 71,000 injuries and $12.5 billion in monetary losses" (National Sleep Foundation). The numbers are quite alarming to me. I know that it is said that every 4th car on the road is under the influence but, who would have thought that this number would include being under the influence of tiredness? Be careful when coming home from gigs because after putting all that energy into giving a great performance or any job that requires lots of effort and energy, you just never know what the result could be while driving tired and with drowsiness. Please be safe on those roads. 


Driver fatigue drowsy driving Anti Sleep Alarm System

This week from November 5 to 12th celebrates Drowsy Driving Prevention Week and because this is a subject I am very passionate about, I will dedicate this week’s episode of my radio show Jazz on the JNote to discuss ways to prevent falling asleep behind the wheel while driving because there are many that can spare the lives of those busy people who have no choice but to drive under the influence of exhaustion. 

I will stress that my show is not a talk show. It is jazz based and the music is non-stop. However I will discuss ways to stay alert on the road such as chewing gum, or using your hands free device to have a conversation with a friend among other ways to prevent drowsy driving, while playing songs that stress on these ideas. 

Please tune in this Sunday evening, November 5, 2017 at 7PM EST for Jazz on the Jnote. You can tune in by visiting http://www.theenglishconnectionmedia.com or http://mixlr.com/the-english-connection-media/ to tune in.

It’s not what you do but how it’s done and because we are rational by design, let’s weigh in the decision to drive safely and if you are tired, make the healthy decision of not getting behind the wheel. Have a blessed and wonderful week and please stay safe on the roads. Your life depends on it and so does everybody else who is on the road. 

Blessings! 

20 comments:

  1. It is wonderful that you were able to walk away from that accident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you. Woo hoo! Thankful for that. :)

      Delete
  2. You are raising awareness for a brilliant cause because I think so many people are focused on whats going on in their lives or where they need to be, they forget that sleep can control us. I am so glad you were completely unharmed or that nobody else was and I am glad you are using the experience to warn others of the dangers. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an inspiring person :) Thanks for writing this informative post and reminding people that drowsy driving can be dangerous, too. I must admit that I am one of the people who need this reminder, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really happy that you could get away from that. And it's really nice of you to talk about it and spread awareness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to sing to keep myself awake. I know after a long night of singing more singing might not be what you want to do but it kept me awake. So happy that you survived and are spreading the word.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There have been time when I myself am guilty of this. I don't do as much now since I became a parent, Now when I feel the sleeps coming on I just try to avoid the drive, but sometime you just can't and in this situation have forgone the cost of a room so my children can roam the room while my mom catches up on her zzzz's

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing such an important topic. It is sad to see so many accidents on the roads and especially when young drivers are not experienced. Well written article!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow I'm glad that you were not hurt. Any day that you can leave the house any return unhurt is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a really important topic to talk. Glad you shared your experienced regarding on drowsy driving, it is very harmful. Everyone should have a self discipline about this, to avoid accident on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you dear and surely everyone is not that lucky. This is so important important topic to discuss and share with everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so glad you shared your story! My husband and I have both had similar experiences. His was driving home tired in the snow one day. Mine was after a long day/night on my motorcycle. We both have since been extremely cautious about driving while tired. I hope more people put thought into it. For some, it can be worse than driving drunk.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about the Drowsy driving prevention week, this is so important and great cause to have awareness and prevent mishappenings due to drowsiness. It is great you were unharmed in the accident.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Raising awareness is very important and serves as a wake up call for many of that will come across your post. I'm glad your ok.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good post. Important to bring awareness to this. You are lucky to have walked away from such an accident. <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an interesting topic. Thanks you shared this kind of awareness to us. We must remember that we should not drive a car when we are tired, drowsy and especially when we are drunk. Safety first, the safe way is the best way. Glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my god, I'm so happy that you are okay and thank you for talking about this. Everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad you didn't get hurt.. that's insane! actually even driving at night terrifies me to be honest

    ReplyDelete
  18. It was great when you got out of the accident. This is a useful share for everyone to reduce the incidents on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is an extremely important messages, because drowsy driving damages not only your own health but also the other people on the road. Innocent lives are endangered and it will be useless to blame yourself when things happen! Pass it on!

    ReplyDelete