Google

Monday, November 6, 2017

A Jamboree of Songs for the NYC Marathon Runners That Moved Me

Sunday, November 5th, 2017 was the 47th annual TCS NYC Marathon since it started in 1970. This year’s theme was “It Will Move You” and I have to say that, if you were one of the millions of spectators who gathered together to cheer the runners on from the sideline, some of the things that you saw would have really moved you in so many ways.



A medley of over 51,000 world citizens chose to fight to the finish line of this 26.2-mile journey in the misty cool temperatures from the starting line at the foot of the Verrazano Bridge in Staten Island all the way to the end at West Drive in Central Park near Tavern on the Green in Manhattan.  


This year was my fourth year straight rooting from the sidelines with a jamboree of songs and encouragement. Some of the teams that ran past my group as we sang to the melody of their feet hitting the pavement were Strides NYC, Harlem Run, Latin Runners Club, Willpower Fitness, Team for Kids, Black Girls Run, Black Men Run, Italian American Running Club and Front Runners NY, just to name a few. What I noticed was that there were more runners this year than I had ever seen in the past. And what a medley of them where you saw all types of people; big and chunky, small and lanky, lean and young, thick and gray, black people, white people and all types of men and women from all over the world all exhilarated to run, walk or get through the stretch in the best way that they could.

36-year-old Shalane Flanagan came in first place being the first American woman since 1977 to have won the NYC marathon. And the first man to cross the finish line was 24-year-old man from Kenya, Geoffrey Kamworo. And then in the wheelchair division the first woman to cross the finish line was Manuela Schar and the 1st male to cross was Marcel Hug, both from Switzerland. But it wasn’t the fast runners with their collective energy that thrilled me the most, making me feel excited as we danced, sang, snapped selfies with some of the runners who stopped to thank us or give us a hi-five while encouraging the crowd of on viewers in Bay Ridge to make some noise for the runners.




It was the people who were in wheelchairs, those who were running with their trainers because they just got off of hip surgery but wanted to attempt the 26.2-mile run anyway, and the ones that were on crutches with one leg and still trying the run on for size anyway that made me feel overcome with emotion. As the slogan for this year said, I was really moved by them. I have walked 10.5 miles in about two and a half hours but that was it. I have never run 10 miles though. But these people who truly physically can't are thrusting through with  all the power God gave them to at least try and that is something. 




Sad to think of all the times that I complain about the little things like my train not stopping at my stop unexpectedly due to track repairs and having to walk a few extra blocks to get home with my two working legs and capable body, yet those without were able to put all their troubles aside to do something that seemed almost impossible without complaining and happy to take such a chance. Seeing them proved that nothing is impossible. I mean, in all honesty, would you attempt running a marathon after just one month of hip surgery? The courage it takes to be able to use the one working leg you have to run; I am amazed by that.

Check out a mini slideshow from where we were snuggly positioned from the sidelines in the Bay Ridge section of Brooklyn, NY. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/gdNCcSY4U0Q 

Congratulations to all of the runners and thank you for all of the inspiration that each and every one of you provide. 

18 comments:

  1. Woohoo for a woman winning the marathon after four decades! All the people with disabilities who still participated are truly an inspiration as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This race sounds so fun with this kind of music. I would love to run a marathon one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good music is a must for a run - although I can't imagine ever running a marathon! Crazy! It was such an exciting race :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fact that a 36 year old woman finally won makes me happy. It's never too late to chase after your dreams (literally) and succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having music going definitely helps me exercise better. I'm so glad that woman finally won!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! 51,000!! I had no clue it was such a large event. How awesome is that!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could not imagine trying to run the race only a month after hip surgery. I would have been in tears watching all the disabled people participating in the race. It is definitely motivating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great race to be a part of, even from the sidelines. Music helps in so many ways, especially in exercising and running. It sounds like it was a very fun and moving time, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet you have such a great time being part of such an iconic event! And to be there when a woman finally won. Yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is brilliant. We have the Mumbai Marathon where I live but we have amazing music and performances but post the marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was really moved by them, too! It was great that you were there playing music and rooting for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! Everybody who gets out there to do this moves me! There are no bounds for their minds or their bodies, how beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness that is just amazing, what a cool thing to be apart of and everyone doing their own thing! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Over 50k participants?! That a huge and awesome! Glad it was a success :)
    So we expect next time it will doubled.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wowza! This sounds so exciting! I've never took part in any marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really cool. I never thought of music like this being part of a marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, more than 50K participants? I would love to participate if NYC is close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is brilliant. Thanks for sharing this. Great to hear it was a success!

    ReplyDelete