Google

Saturday, February 17, 2018

On 2/18/2018 Jazz on the JNote Celebrates the Excellent Story of Harriet Tubman


We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence then is not an act, but a habit” 
(Aristotle)


I am always looking for a good topic to base each episode of my show on. I spend some time making a frantic effort to allow the blanket of the non-stop flow of music that you find on Jazz on the JNote, to have a concentration of focus so that as the show barrels ahead, the music can fuel the momentum of the topic at hand.

The main theme of every episode of Jazz on the JNote is jazz, identity and race, as was my college thesis, which was how this radio show started back in June of 2015. The show was a way to help me to conduct research as I sojourned to write 30 pages on jazz and how it helped to implement an identity and political tongue for people of color. 

And so, in trying to keep each episode as new as possible without too many repeats being aired, as each week progresses, not only do I do an extensive search of “today in jazz history,” but also one on “today in black history” and then narrow down my search to one particular area of focus from the information populated, which caused the most overflow of words to hit my blank page.

Here are a few of the things that I found:

Some of This Week’s Jazz Birthdays


Henry Threadgill – February 15, 1944

Randy Crawford – February 18, 1952

Nancy Wilson – February 20, 1937

Nina Simone – February 21, 1933


It Happened This Week in Jazz History

Mahalia Jackson recorded “Come Sunday” with Duke Ellington – February 12, 1958

Nat King Cole Died – February 15, 1965

Bessie Smith made her first recording “Downhearted Blues” -  February 16, 1923

Thelonious Monk Died – February 17, 1982

Billie Holiday recorded “Lady in Satin” – February 18, 1958

It Happened this week in Black History


February 12, 1793
The First Fugitive Slave Law was enacted by congress

February 12, 1900
First black secretary of the NAACP, James Weldon Johnson, wrote the lyrics to, “Lift Every Voice and Sing” for an Abraham Lincoln birthday celebration

February 12, 1908
NAACP founded in NYC following the race riot of 1908 in Springfield, IL, with a mission to ensure the political, educational, social and economic equality of rights of all persons and to eliminate race-based discrimination. It was founded by bold and daring pioneers sociologist WEB DuBois, lawyer Archibald Grimke, civil rights activist Henry Moskowtiz, suffragists Mary White Ovington and Mary Church Terrell, labor reformer William English Walling, social and political reformer Florence Kelley, and journalists Charles Edward Russell, Oswald Garrington Villard and Ida B Wells all joining forces to eliminate race prejudice and to lead grassroots campaigns for social justice, equal protection of the law, equal opportunities and voter mobilization.

February 14, 1817
The man for whom Carter G Woodson based Black History Week around when it first became a notable time of celebration, Frederick Douglass, was born

February 17, 1891
A black inventor, A C Richardson, invented the patent for the churn

February 17, 1902
The first black person to ever be invited to sing in the White House, Marion Anderson, was born.

Focus for February 18, 2018



It didn’t happen this week in black history but rather this month . . . On February 1, 1978, Harriet Tubman became the first black woman to be honored with a US Postal stamp, and after a more extensive acquaintance with this heroine’s brilliant history, the topic of discussion based on the Fugitive Slave Law and the US Postal Stamp, became my focal point.

Harriet Tubman

A woman does not run among thorns for no reason;
either she is chasing a snake
or a snake is chasing her.”
– (African Proverb)

This week, we celebrate the unwavering faith of Aramanta Ross, better known to the world as Harriett Tubman. She was also coined by many as Black Moses because she risked her own life out of stern necessity to rescue her people from their place of struggle, judgment and no justice in which they dwelt at the risk of harsh punishment, lashings to the skin or even assassination by lynching or beheading.  She was more than just a noble and brave, dedicated humanitarian but a respected leader in her own right.

This week’s episode is dedicated to Harriet Tubman's fugitive steps in her endeavor to help her people to pilot away from the south, guided by the steady light of the north star to freedom. Please join us as we celebrate her life and incredible story. 

Here is How You Can Listen



Tune in Sunday February 18, 2018

7:00 PM EST http://www.theenglishconnectionmedia.com  (worldwide)

7:30PM EST WNYE 91.5FM (NY, NJ, CT)

Thank you for stopping by my blog. If you are interested, Jazz on the JNote is on Facebook. Like our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/jazzonthejnote/

47 comments:

  1. It is interesting to learn about Jnote. Didn't know that you have to research on Jazz history and black history. I love how you also include a video youtube so I can have a peep at the Jazz vibe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! First through Google and online Encyclopedias. And then During the week, I also read the book, "Scenes in the Life of Harriet Tubman" by Sarah H Bradford which included some letters from people who were around during that time and their accounts of their interactions with her.

      Delete
  2. I have to admit I know very little about Jazz so it is interesting to get to know a little more about it and Happy Birthday to all those Jazz musicians!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JAzz is such a wonderful genre of music. IT is like a summer day full of warm sunshine to bask in.

      Delete
  3. I had never heard of Jazz on the Jnote before. I don't know much about jazz but the few i know, i love it! it is always good to find out more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is the name of my radio show, almost three years in production.

      Delete
  4. I had no idea that Harriet's real name was different! We also lost two amazing men in February! I love the you do this! Allowing everything to come together and going for what speaks to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Most of the slaves names were changed to a Christian name by their master.

      Delete
  5. Jazz music is the least that I liked lol but my grandparents are all into this. It's classic and old but yet quality type of music

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was for me at first until I started listening to it and just letting it into my system and I realized that it was such a great sound.

      Delete
  6. I love jazz - there is so much emotion and feeling in one song. I grew up with my grandmother always listening to jazz and her cowboys... Fond memories for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had no idea you had started your blog and topic based on your college thesis that is amazing. I love your passion for jazz and how you link it with such important historic times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IT was a good way to get it into my system so I could write and speak from a place of knowledge.

      Delete
  8. Harriet Tubman is an inspiration for me! It was great to know about jazz history and other greats in this field.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not very knowledgeable about music.But I love listening to good music and jazz is one of my favorites. Great to know the way you described jazz story in this post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love learning about new things. I didn't know half of these about jazz and it's very interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've always enjoyed jazz music. I have learned some interesting things today .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just stumbled upon your site. I am now a follower. Great information about black history and history in general.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That is awesome to hear. Thank you so much for stopping by.

      Delete
  13. I don't know much about jazz but I love your passion. It clear you love Jazz very much

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this post is jam packed with some really cool information! I didn’t know that Nina Simone was born in February!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this concept. I think jazz is an under appreciated music genre and I am glad someone is keeping the music alive. I hope you keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for all of the history that intertwines! It is fascinating to learn what was happening in coordination with music development.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, It looks like you really love Jazz music. and I have learned a few things today. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, this is interesting! It's refreshing to listen to jazz music, I say, and more amazing to learn music and other history all together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that you have a segment like this on your show because it helps people remember important events and dates that happened on that day. It's good info as well, especially for those interested in learning more about Jazz Music and its history!

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband loves jazz. What an amazing thing to start your blog and topic based on your college thesis. It is so interesting to see how you linked your passion for jazz with important historic dates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of these things are so important and need to be shared.

      Delete
  21. oh I love Jazz. It's such a beautiful musci esp if listed to lifeband preform. The mood swings are so much filling me with life!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello, this is a very good article. Keep up the good work! Music is so important in life. It makes everything going well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such an interesting subject for a thesis! It's great when your thesis is not only a task to complete but it also deals with something you are passionate about! Thank you for sharing all that jazz-y information with us - I enjoy jazz, but I've never known much about it, so your post is a source of novelty for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was so interesting to research and to write about.

      Delete
  24. Thank you for sharing important information on jazz and its history, black history. These are really important topics.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great to see your passion for Jazz music. I’ve learned a few things from this post. Thanks for sharing your love of this music

    ReplyDelete
  26. Such an educational and well-researched post, this! I think it's awesome you have your own radio station. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. You've included so much information here for fans of jazz music. I really like the African proverb you've quoted x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't hear about Harriet Tubman before reading your post. I am not a follower of Jazz music but I do enjoy it. Sadly I can't name more than 2 or 3 singers.

    ReplyDelete