Google

Monday, February 12, 2018

And Then There Were The Ladies of Jazz

March is Women’s History Month which is a month to celebrate the remarkable women in history who have used the utmost limits of their naturally remarkable power to showcase their extraordinary talents.
On March 10, 2018 from 2PM to 3:30PM at the Roosevelt Public Library located at 27 W Fulton Avenue in Roosevelt, NY, I am excited to bring to you, “And Then There Were the Ladies of Jazz” which is a jazz show dedicated to some of the greatest women of jazz to ever share their talents with the world. This show will celebrate the lives of the first lady of song, Ella Fitzgerald, the pathos and tone of Billie Holiday, the operatic voice of the Divine One, Sarah Vaughan and the amazingly talented, Carmen McRae with music hosted by Stephanie Jeannot and her Jazz Quartet with special guest performances by JAzz E Matt, Dalthannette Munlin and Stacey Haughton, just to name a few.
These phenomenal women of jazz were newsmakers of their day. They tokenized the genre of vocal jazz with their memorable voices that just simply melted into the masses. They had global influence with their contributions to the culture.
For me, every time I listen to them strike a note, their voices generate happiness and heal my heart in scission, every time I listen to them sing. They embody the actual skill of what jazz singing is all about.
And while the tremendous struggle for equality was being fought, they were making progress by forcing a shift of mindset and helping to change legal, unjust and immoral Jim Crow establishments; many of which integrated so that these women would be allowed to showcase their talents at these establishments, becoming ambassadors of acceptance of people of color as human beings and creating a sense of belonging in places where blacks originally were not before.
Each, in their own way, showcased virtuosic musicianship and impacted the future with their influence that seemed to resonate in the hearts and spirits of multitudes of people across cultures. With this is mind, "And Then There Were the Ladies of Jazz" will feature meaningful moments in celebration of these women who transformed the world with their technical prowess. This show will focus on the profiles of these remarkable innovators who showed their strengths to the world not only as people of color but as women.

33 comments:

  1. Sound like its going to be an AMAZING night of soul-filled music! Wish I were closer so I can attend. Thanks for raising awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love how you include a video in the post. Glad to see women from all ages enjoy the jazz and dance. Dint know about his and glad to come across this post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the comment. I appreciate your words.

      Delete
  3. Love hearing about how these incredible women took music beyond just music to transform the world! Sounds like it will be an exciting event!

    Vivian | LIVE IN LOVE
    IG | @viviyunn_

    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Musicians are so much more than their music. They lead very meaningful lives.

      Delete
  4. I love jazz (secretly when my kids aren't around to switch the music) I think this sounds like a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I love that you enjoy it in the ways that you do. :)

      Delete
  5. Wow, that sounds like it's going to be an incredible evening Stephanie. Just the weekend, on our local radio station, they did a whole slot on amazing women in music and I enjoyed it so much. A whole evening of jazz greats sounds wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH cool. You have a great radio station in your area.

      Delete
  6. great plans! I love jazz, actually whenever I'm studying or working, I put on some jazz because I feel like it's the only music genre that helps me keep focused without distracting me too much and it still is exciting :) Just like you said, it generates happiness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is actually how I first started listening to jazz. Made such a difference in my life.

      Delete
  7. I love jazz music. It really sounds like you have an awesome night planned there. A whole evening of jazz is just what i need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing event and so inspiring, I love that these women made such an impact and that they are still be celebrated and honoured. I hope you have an amazing time hosting, that is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Jazz - especially female vocals. There's something almost silky about it. I wish I lived closer. This is a show I wouldn't miss.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so excited knowing of this jazz show by ladies in March. This would be certainly a treat to watch such amazing show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh!And it is right around the corner. Looking forward to it.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow this sounds like an awesome event celebrating huge names in the music industry. I really hope you have the best time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! It sounds like you are putting a great homage show! I would love to see you perform, those ladies certainly inspired million of women, but the fight isn't over!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This event sounds amazing! My husband and I love jazz. Wish we were near so we could make a date night of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that you were near too. Hopefully someday!

      Delete
  14. An evening of jazz sounds like a lot of fun. I have never really got into it but I feel I would enjoy it :)

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. That sounds like a wonderful show! I'm actually in the process of reviewing a children's book called "ella, queen of jazz". I need to tie in Women's history month with that I think!! I had no idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how soothing Jazz is. This seems like an awesome event, with many iconic jazz headliners. Never heard of the concept of Women's History Month. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great event! It sounds like you’re putting together a really unique event that will appeal to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love jazz! And I agree, music is much more than a bunch of notes put together. It has power. Just think about how our mood changes when we listen to different types of music.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an amazing event filled with music! Jazz is such an amazing genre and it is so great to see people gathering around it

    ReplyDelete