Google

Sunday, December 11, 2016

Yay! A Songwriter: Congratulations Bob Dylan

“What I take from writers I like is their economy - the ability to use language to very effective ends. The ability to have somebody read something and see it, or for somebody to paint an entire landscape of visual imagery with just sheets of words - that's magical.” ― Mos Def



What is it called when someone mentions a name or an event about a person that happened and then shortly after, you unexectedly see that person or thing? 

Collage by Stephanie Jeannot

The conversation was about the 2016 recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize for writing, Bob Dylan, who happens to be a songwriter and just happened not to go to the awards ceremony to receive his award. In conversation, my father mentioned one of his favorite French writers, Jean-Paul Sartre,  and his not showing up to accept his award which in my opinion, is like still being a college graduate even if you do not attend the ceremony to receive your diploma. You still are a graduate. Right? 

But what do I know? I am just a singer and songwriter who loves to read and dream tall
about taking the world within my hands for simple peace of mind when the sun sinks at the end of the day.They most likely dreamed tall too and look what happened. Inspiring ain't it? 

So, after we talked about Bob Dylan’s winning the prize and the news of it scrolled across the morning news and Jean-Paul Sartre's name came up, I came across a copy of his story in his words, "The autobiography of Jean-Paul Sartre" with my name on it and mine for the taking or rather, for the reading.  How ironic is that? 

I am as happy as I can ever be and my enthusiasm has yet to wane knowing that I am going to be sifting through the pages soon. I feel so good, I could probably tango all night like Carlos Gardel, listen to McCoy Tyner's music under my pillow until I fall asleep or lie with joy in front of the television watching Rita Moreno add charisma to “The West Side Story” just so I could sing along to all of my favorite songs from this flick and then let the tears roll at the end of the film when the story turns sad and emotional and let my tears calm me into dreamland.

The word is probably coincidence or coinkidink. Something to that flavor. Anyway, congratulations to Bob Dylan. 


Yay! A songwriter. That’s what’s up! 

43 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know much about Bob Dylan, I didn't even know he won the Nobel peace prize. That is very interesting fact. Thank you for sharing this I love learning about things like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan is one of the best singer/songwriters of all time. Every single song he ever made was so full of meaning and feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob Dylan is pretty amazing. I need to make sure I introduce my kids to his music so they can appreciate him as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome for them to know of his music.

      Delete
  4. Bob Dylan is so amazingly talented. So great that he won.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's so awesome yet so talented! So glad that he won, He deserve for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to Bob Dylan. It is really funny how these things happen. The word is a coincidence or that is what I have always called them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bob Dylan has such talent! Such a great singer/songwriter. I've always loved his music.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too funny. I believe things happen for a reason. It would be interesting to find out why Bob Dylan didn't show up. It's such a huge honor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg I just love Bob Dylan!!!!! He is such a talented musician. His music is the best

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh man yes i totally believe that things happen for a reason either good or bad. oh bob didnt show..i wonder why

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bob Dylan is one of my most favorite musicians. He is so talented, smart, and creates music that fills my soul with pure joy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome achievement. I hope he had a great reason for not showing up though.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not sure how I missed that Bob Dylan won the Nobel Peace Prize. I'm a bit surprised that he wouldn't show up for the honor.
    That is ironic that you were talking about it and it showed up on TV! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My husband is a huge fan of Bob Dylan and I've learned a lot about Bob Dylan from him. I think he is one of the great songwriters of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My whole family is huge Bob Dylan finds! He is a great songwriter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bob Dylan is an absolute master and legend. Even my son (10 years old) knows his work and loves his music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has great taste at that age. LOL! Too funny.

      Delete
  17. Bob Dylan has some seriously amazing songs! He's an awesome artist!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think it's great the Nobel committee is branching out from the usual diplomat or politician type for an award like this

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now that is one honor I would be in attendance for (now I'm curious why he wasn't). Congrats to him, I think he is amazing and I'm a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bob Dylan is representing for MN, wohhhoo! Happy to hear he won the Noble Prize, I'd like to win that award some day! He's a great songwriter and very unique and true to himself : )

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Bob Dylan! I think it's great the Nobel committee is branching out from the usual type for an award like this! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is such a wonderful thing. I am sure a lot of those who are in the music industry appreciate that the Nobel Committee is doing this kind of award.

    ReplyDelete