Google

Saturday, May 2, 2020

Talks of Jazz, The Music and The Culture with Lon Ivey

On Sunday evenings when New York is being illuminated by the light of the moon, some folks log on to their computers or phones to listen attentively to the positive vibrations of my radio show, Jazz on the JNote.

Because April was Jazz Appreciation Month, I thought it would be fitting to capture the energy and excitement of the melodious artform by featuring some of the world’s many men and women of jazz who could talk to a meaningful extent about their momentous journeys as craftspeople of music. The idea danced through my head for a while. I am thankful for the most part that I was able to shape the vision into reality and remained remarkably consistent throughout the entire month of April, even in these benighted times.

Our special guest on April 5, 2020 was NYC drummer, Lon Ivey who had an endless supply of ideas that he was willing to share about how his career started, about his definition of jazz and about how young aspiring artists can prosper in their efforts to yield their fruit. 


He definitely had some knowledge to pass on that you might get in a typical classroom situation from a teacher delivering a lesson and leaving students well-equipped to move forward. I admire his courage and was honored to have him present on the show. For the most part, it was an intelligent discussion of unique viewpoints, shared stories and prodigious knowledge.

The question, what is jazz alone, can set someone off on a spate of wondering. And so, it is interesting to tap into the brain of different people to see what their philosophies are. The engaging melodies, the conversation and the cultural landscape of jazz is what the show is centered on.

Some of the viable community of listeners tune in while plopped on their couches in the comfort of their living rooms. Some of the members of the diverse audience, listen to the montage of jazz while driving in cruise control down the thoroughfares of their hometowns. Others enjoy the creative freedom of jazz that is built into this show while sitting on the sand at the ocean and taking in the atmosphere.

I thought the content of this show was worth sharing for folks who didn’t get a chance tocapture the energy of the show when it was aired. On any given Sunday, Jazz on the JNote can be heard all around the globe at 7PM EST at http://theenglishconnectionmedia.com.


If I aroused interest in you and you are willing to patronize of the arts and to take in the absorbable, joyous sounds, you can get your fix on the episode of Jazz on the JNote Radio Show which was hosted and produced by Stephanie Jeannot and featured NYC drummer Lon Ivey; as previously aired on April 5, 2020. Here is the link:  https://youtu.be/8-O_Syg_8PQ via @YouTube. 





Listening might do a few things. It might lift your spirits and fill your heart with content. It might calm the mind that is usually full of busy thoughts. It might birth new feelings of creativity in you. It might get you moving them undulating hips to the twists and turns of the music. It might even compel you to want to listen to a live show on a Sunday evening at 7PM EST at http://theenglishconnectionmedia.com.  You might have negative feedback to sting me like a bee because it was a dismal experience for you. Or, you might be in the absence of care just because it is not your thing.

Regardless, I feel mightily blessed that you took the time to read my blogpost. Your simple act of kindness means everything in the world. I am content that there are still ways to have a connected presence with people all over the globe such as in the human connection that is present in reading, writing and music. I am eternally grateful to you.



25 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing, I always enjoy new selections of music that I might not otherwise find on my own. I had no idea April was Jazz month! That is good to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I enjoy listening to new songs that I haven't yet heard as well.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I didn't know that April was Jazz month! I used to love to listen to jazz but just haven't found the time to do so in recent years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! So interesting that April celebrates jazz and poetry both in the same month.

      Delete
  3. Oh I appreciate you sharing this. I always enjoy learning about music and I had no idea that April was jazz month! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a normal April, there are jazz festivals all around and people are playing live music in celebration of the culture of jazz.

      Delete
  4. I admit it is a type and genre of music that I am learning to appreciate with age. It is really complex and fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It grows on you after a while. Once it did for me, it became one of my favorites.

      Delete
  5. I love all forms of music. It's amazing how music can really change your mood and bring a sense of calm especially with jazz music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! Music is very medicinal. One of the reasons why I love it so much.

      Delete
  6. I have often found it fascinating in our work to see how different personalities choose different types of music. My husband and I run a general contracting company, so throughout the process of building or remodeling, we will see at least 15 different trades through a property. It seems like just as certain personalities are attracted to certain types of work, they also seem to like very different types of music. My husband, who is originally a trim carpenter by training, loves jazz - as do a lot of other trim carpenters we have used. I think the pace and style of the music fits their detailed, yet laid back, work atmosphere. It's often a really enjoyable place to be when they are working because of that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bet that was such a fun interview to do! And as I've gotten older I've come to appreciate jazz so much more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love to play this genre especially when I want to relax. :) it helps me change my mood and it releases my stresses. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love jazz and it sounds like you showcase some great talent, thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a lot of fun to read. I LOVE jazz, have always loved it, and am a saxophone player myself. Reading about the way that music touches other people's lives (regardless of the genre) has always interested me. More so when it's a genre that is so important in my own life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love listening to jazz music. Thanks for introducing the artist with us.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kristine Nicole AlessandraMay 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM

    I listen to jazz music once in a while. It is definitely relaxing! I will have to check out that link you shared in this post. Thanks a lot. Happy belated Jazz month.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love jazz music for writing. I find that it really brings out my creative side. Happy (late) jazz month!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't been exposed to jazz music too frequently, but it definitely has a huge following! I bet it would be very relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did not know it was jazz month in April. I really don’t know much about jazz but I know it has influenced a lot of different types of music

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love jazz and I get more and more into as I get older

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely love listening to jazz. It's one of my favourite genres of music :)

    Louise x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much. God has been so good. Blessings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am not much of a music person so I am glad to know more about jazz.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My partner and I love listening to jazz, it was nice to read this :)

    ReplyDelete