Google

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Join Into the Drum Circle at Potay in Brooklyn, NY

 

The hand drum class, circle and open mic at Potay.Haiti.Caribbean.Us.All was my point of interest this past Friday night. I did not really know what to expect but what I can say is that a blessing was lavished on me just by being present in that space.

With such superb skill and panache, the host, Okai, got the air of learning and personal enjoyment flowing. Not only did he give insight on how to play Conga drums or Djembe drums, but also how to get your voice across with uniqueness; by voice I mean, the sound that vibrates out of your hand hitting the drums. And by uniqueness, I mean that though all participants were taught the same hand gestures, every person still plays with their own incredible degree of diversity.

Potay located as 2720 Farragut Road in Brooklyn, NY definitely had something special going on. As time slipped away between our fingers, there were a n umber of lessons being learned between the hand drum class and the open mic that shortly followed it. One of them is like Paul Coelho said, “wherever your heart is there you will find your treasure.”

My heart has had an inextinguishable light for singing all my life and most recently in piano. I didn’t actually consider that I might be accompanying other participants via keyboard or that I would be learning new songs to play on the spot but being in synchrony with others at this event helped me to increase my knowledge of my musicianship a bit more.

Another thing that I learned was like Carlos Santana said, “people are flowers. Music is water. Musicians are the hose.” Considering how the curiosity of knowing more about hand drums and becoming more familiar with the cultural aspects of it was almost like broaching the idea that there is nothing wrong with being who you are individually. We all shared, and all voices were respected and heard which means more to me than I can express because at that point, it is a realization that there is no reason to derail your efforts and so it alleviated uncertainties as far as who you are and what you had to bring to the table because everybody banded together like family.  So, I felt comfortable introducing my music and the scope of my performing voice as a live exhibition to them.

 The drum circle event was beyond helpful. I felt elated to experience gather together on that Friday night and become a part of the community and to be filled with the wealth of information that I received. It helped to draw a smile on my face that has yet to leave ever since. If you want to see for yourself how it went, I invite you to check out this video for yourself and hopefully, it will bring you joy as it did for me. Watch it here: https://youtu.be/7LBROH-GfjM 

 Potay has a lot of great things going on at it’s establishment. Like for instance, on Thursdays, they have Capoeira classes where you can learn the art of this cultural dance. Every day after school, there is tutoring being offered for those who need it. And on Friday afternoons, I will be teaching singing and piano.

If you are even mildly interested, I will be starting group and private singing/piano lessons starting on November 5th at Potay. 

Check out the flyer and let me know if you have interest or any probing questions that I might
be able to answer about it. And if you feel like being a part of the glorious moment of hand drumming, it is a recurring event happening every Friday at Potay. Maybe you feel like escaping to something different, all happening at Potay on Farragut Road and Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, NY. So stop on through and you will not be disappointed.


Thank you so much for checking out my blog post.

No comments:

Post a Comment