Google

Saturday, January 23, 2021

Jazz on the Jnote Featuring Professor Roman G Mitchell Airs This Sunday, January 24, 2021 at 7:30PM on WNYE 91.5FM

 

Music has always made a difference in my life. Ever since I was little, music has been like the coziest blanket someone could sleep on when they are seeking maximum comfort.


I remember being at an awards ceremony at Medgar Evers College and seeing Professor Roman Mitchell with his singer on the stage, directing her through her song from start to finish. I was impressed for a few reasons. 


First, it takes incredible courage to get up on anybody’s stage to perform song selections and I noticed that the singer didn’t seem scared or worried at all. She just honorably worked. I had always dreamt of the day when the butterflies in my stomach wouldn’t be a thing; but it was. The thought that I could one day rise above my jitters, started to come to my mind.  


Second, the selection was not an easy one to sing but for some reason, I couldn’t help but to feel mesmerized by her vocal approach and skill. I can’t tell you how many magical moments I pulled out of the song that the singer had been singing. She even came up for air appropriately between vocal phrases and it made me wonder if maybe, I could join forces with her director one day, to help me along in my own vocal journey.


A few months later, I was coming from one of my late-night classes at Medgar Evers College, and I saw Professor Mitchel at the front desk, I walked up to him and said, “I want to sing.” It took a while to get the response that I wanted out of him but a few months later, he called on me and invited me to come and be a part of his jazz ensemble, and I started working under his wing, getting vocal stretches, exercises and performance opportunities that were way beyond my expectation.

One thing that made Professor Mitchell stand out was his ability to help one to understand 

what they were doing with their instrument. He had a way of getting his point across with his sunny temperament, that is both witty and fun. When he plays the piano, you are reveling in sounds of brilliance. He blows his trumpet with freshness and delight. And then this man can sing, very well.  But the most important thing about him is that he likes to challenge those people who are under his wing to go beyond their comfort level and to try things that are both musically and lyrically complex, which can only make them stronger in skill.


Not only am I glad that I got to have him as a mentor at my alma mater, but I am excited that I will be sitting down to discuss a wide breadth of topics with this educator, musician, musical director and all-around talent such as, teaching music to college students during the pandemic via remote learning, the culture of jazz, the Dr Umolu Jazzy Jazz Festival at Medgar Evers College and more. 

Jazz on the JNote is a jazz-based radio show that stems from Medgar Evers College Community Radio Station and is hosted and produced by Stephanie Jeannot. The fact that Professor Mitchell was willing to sit with me to share bits of his life, speaks value to me.

On Sunday evening, January 24, 2021 at 7:30PM EST, I invite you to turn your radio dial to WNYE 91.5FM for the latest edition of Jazz on the JNote with your host Stephanie Jeannot, featuring Professor Roman G Mitchell. You can also listen by logging on the http://theenglishconnectionmedia.com and pushing play to start the online radio version of this show.

Listening to him speak will definitely inspire you in some way because he has a lot of good things to say. Turning your radio dial to 7:30PMEST this Sunday, January 24, 2021, will be a good investment of your time. Hope that you’ll join us this Sunday evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment