Google

Monday, April 13, 2020

"In My Quietude..." by Stephanie Jeannot

April is National Poetry Month. It is a month dedicated to celebrating the art of the many poets and poetesses in the world. 

My first experiences writing came in the form of poetic verse. I love to write and during this world crisis and in my quietude, I have found ample time to put my pen to paper and to just let my thoughts flow. 

I am sad that I have not been able to place my 2020 American Poets' Society National Poetry Month Poster on the wall of my classroom this year but I am happy to put some of my own poetry on to the wall of this blog and I hope that you will take the time to read it. This poem is entitled "In my Quietude"


In My Quietude

In my quietude
I have spent a good deal of time 
inside lately
The coronavirus has been 
attacking our livelihood lately

But I don’t take 
my blessings for granted
I still acknowledge and steward 
over each day that I am handed

Surely this COVID 19 
has shifted my thinking
I’m bombarded with so much news of it 
that has left me crippled broken

In my quietude, I wonder
How many can handle 
all this darkness with ease?
How can I truly operate 
through all of this in victory?

I don’t want to accept the idea 
that this is a losing battle.
This pandemic contagion has come 
and the earth it has rattled.

In my quietude, I have come to the conclusion that 
These are some of the darkest moments 
I have ever seen.
I’m affected by all the ambulance sirens 
and this shifting economy.

I can definitely say 
that I have been pierced with sorrow.
In the twinkling of an eye, 
I’ve lost so many that I won’t be able to physically embrace tomorrow

I am hoping that these dark times 
won’t sway my viewpoint of faith
I am praying that sooner than later 
this disease will get out of our way

I guess you can say with this quarantine 
I have quiet time dedicated to my thoughts
I am trying to overcome 
the circumstance of the coronavirus that haunts

The beat goes on 
even if I let the doubts of surviving take over
My hurts sting for the world 
as it continues to lose soldiers

In my quietude, I realized that 
I have faced many trials in my life 
but not like 2020
So many good times experienced 
stay frozen in my memory

I only hope to move from the empty cityscapes 
and get back on to non-virtual social track soon
I give credit to all my inspirers 
who keep me from totally being blue

And all the essential workers 
diligently working to save so many lives
And all the prayer warriors praying 
for healing over the world and for better times


_______________________________________________________

Thank you for taking the time to read my poem. I am a poet at heart and also have a few poetry books that you might find interest in reading. Please check them out here: Stephanie Jeannot's Author Page on Amazon

22 comments:

  1. This is such a moving poem. I have never been going at writing poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a relatable poem, I think many humans are feeling the media consumption and frustration of it all. Keep it up! I also had no idea it was National Poetry Month, that's dope!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your poem. I'm sure alot of people can relate. How can you operate in victory? Well, Jesus defeated death and he tells us in Revelations 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony. We are victorious in Christ Jesus. Thank you for being transparent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have thought a lot while in my quietudee as well. i like this poem. thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful and moving poem. I am always amazed at poets and their ability to use words to create such beautiful texts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful words on life during uncertain times! Thank you for sharing and being transparent; I love your authenticity. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so absolutely lovely. Thank you so much for sharing this with all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I didn't even know there was a poetry month! Your poem definitely hits home as I have someone who's been affected by COVID-19. Thank you for being open like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I didn't know it was poetry month but I'm glad that it is.Poetry is such a great art love your poem is very profound.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have always been really bad with writing poetry, but I love reading it. And yours is very moving and passionate. Thank you for sharing your heart and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is beautiful. You have a profound way with words!

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful words written amidst these difficult times. Thanks for pouring your heart out in this poem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful words. And very relatable. U think we all feel this exact way right now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is really a nice and beautiful poem I've read now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful poem. Thank you for writing and being so brave as to share with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea April was dedicated to poets, that's so awesome! I love your peoem here! It is lovely

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a beautiful piece! Very heartfelt and close to home for me with all that is going on.

    ReplyDelete
  18. it hits home! it is something that rings very true. We are all suddenly disrupted from our normal day to day routine. I know I am finding it hard to keep from getting depressed. I am finding everything I can possibly do to keep busy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely poem. It is true that 2020 has been tough for everyone, but please hold on to your faith of a wonderful tomorrow. As they say - this too shall pass.

    ReplyDelete
  20. During uncertain times of Covid-19, Beautiful words on life, Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice heartfelt poem. Things will get better, they always do.

    ReplyDelete