Google

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Jazz Keeps Unfolding in the Walls of My Heart

My hearts unfolds like a flower when I get the opportunity to experience the culture of jazz.





 I was squealing with delight at the idea of celebrating nature’s abundance of simple joys.  What was being celebrated?



Black history.

Jazz history.

The history of jazz dance.





The event was hosted by the Harlem Swing Dance Society and was held at the Pelham Fritz Recreational Center in Harlem, NY and featured me and my band, Stephanie Jeannot’s Savoy Four Band.


Please check out the mini clip of the event that was held here:



https://youtu.be/NmgnLuWKMBI

The ambiance was great there in that Harlem venue located at Mount Morris Park. The art on the walls gave an appeal that just melted my heart. 

I walked in and saw dancers dancing with an instructor teaching them a bit of jazz dance from its history at the Savoy Ballroom where the lindy hop was first introduced. I always enjoy these events because of the air of knowledge and jazz that I am able to breathe in while history is being shared until the band is ready to play the music to set the dancers up on a rhythmic fleet.

An eclectic array of standards was hoisted into the air met by the swinging dancers on the floor who met our sounds with energetic body movements. We played finger snapping rhythms, evocative classics, and modernized versions of antiquated songs. The instrumentalists did not shy away from improvising solos or showcasing their unique flavor which made it easy for me to be drawn in by their sounds to sing before the host of people rhythmically propelled to dance to the music. They danced to throbbing beats played by Napoleon Revels-Bey who approached the counter rhythms with brushes of purposeful soulfulness. They bopped to the thumping of the technical virtuosity of Hill Greene. They hammered their heels to the floor to the variety of tinkling sound played by pianist Danny Dalelio and I sang to the twists and turns of their music as the music gave a cultural salute to the sounds they played.

I was suddenly flooded with memories of earlier times when purveyors of the music would gather dressed to the nines to share their artistic expression. I thought of artists like Billie Holiday, Lena Horne, Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald, Dizzy Gillespie, Thelonious Monk and Max Roach. Music was definitely their vehicle for improvisation whether it was playing, singing or dancing to it because music is all about self-expression and sharing.  They were always draped in the finest of threads and communicating to the audience with their hearts full of music. It was a fertile harmonic ground for joy to be sprung. It was the world’s most glamorous atmosphere and jazz history at its best. How could one not absorb the cultural influences and be inspired by those troubadours of yesteryear who made great triumphs with their music?

With each deep-throated growl, the onlookers danced and danced and danced. 

That day still remains imprisoned in the walls of my heart. I have a growing admiration for the culture of jazz which makes my heart skip a beat more and more each time I dabble into it. Music infuses me enthusiasm and makes me feel alive. And so, I have grown this insatiable hunger to listen and to learn and to sing and to dance and to just take in music as much as I can; because it is my first love and because I have a growing appetite for it. 

The more I sing, the more it calms my rage. Thankful for every musical opportunity and for the beautiful gift of song that God planted in me when he fearfully and wonderfully created me.

20 comments:

  1. This event looked so good. Black history/Jazz history I love it! Jazz music really soothes the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always liked jazz. It's so soothing. This sounds like a great event!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to say I've never been a fan of Jazz in my spare time but tend to listen to it when I'm writing. For some reason it makes me more motivated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was introduced to me as helpful to a student while studying. I kept it a part of my everyday.

      Delete
  4. I do like jazz music. This video was nice to listen to

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looked like a awesome event and the vibe seems right. I feel like Jazz is a dying music genre that definitely needs more appeal in the mainstream. Adding the art on top of that. This is a place I would love to go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jazz is very soothing. Also, what a lovely and soothing voice :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your description of this event. You did a great job of melding past with present. It sounds like it was a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a great event! I love how music has the ability to take you to another place. Whenever I listen to jazz I'm walking down cobblestones in Paris lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always been a fan of jazz.I find it very soothing and creative. This event sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not much of a Jazz fan. This sounds really cool though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm not super into jazz but this still sounds really fun. Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the history of things like jazz. It is an important element in our history in music and must be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful images! Music is definitely something special!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Affiliate Money Making Machine is waiting -

    And making money online using it is as simple as 1...2...3!

    It's super easy how it works...

    STEP 1. Tell the system what affiliate products you want to promote
    STEP 2. Add PUSH BUTTON traffic (it LITERALLY takes JUST 2 minutes)
    STEP 3. Watch the system explode your list and sell your affiliate products for you!

    So, do you want to start making money???

    The solution is right here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Strange "water hack" burns 2 lbs overnight

    At least 160,000 men and women are trying a easy and SECRET "water hack" to lose 1-2lbs every night while they sleep.

    It's very simple and it works every time.

    Just follow these easy step:

    1) Grab a drinking glass and fill it with water half glass

    2) And now use this amazing HACK

    and you'll become 1-2lbs lighter the next day!

    ReplyDelete