Google

Monday, April 2, 2018

A Heart of Love for Culture and Music


I fall into the arms of love every time music fills the air and I am blessed with the opportunity to enjoy it. I am left with a cheerful disposition and a sunny temperament; especially when I can experience the great reward of performing songs that I wrote.


It is not every day that I am bursting in creativity. There are times when I have writer’s block and it kills me in so many ways. I can make up a cacophony of excuses for the days when trying to put words to the paper does not happen in the manner I would like, but at those moments when a flood of good thoughts just doesn’t seem to push through, there is nothing I can do to change that. It just happens. 

But then in that season of your life, someone comes along and inspires you with an idea and boom, there you go with a feeling of empowerment that allows you to once again, regain control of the writing process and productivity happens. I guess such was the case with the song my mom asked me to write. 

She had this confident expectation that a song would come out of her mere request. I guess the intention and hope that I had of being able to fulfill it was all I needed to be able to write Saut D’eau Song, a song about a region in Haiti where one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world lives. 


The words came like an army of love, marching with intention to tear down the mountain that once blocked the free flow of words and at that particular moment, had a burning need to be released. If you are interested, you can check out the original tune here: https://open.spotify.com/track/6OgJmDcNvmBdnQzoNwOkp7?si=bILPJgF3SiObfMI92URzUw



I will admit that it was a bit different for me to write a song like this and I still can’t say why I had never intentionally written about the Haitian culture that was introduced to me as a child and that I grew up coming to know. But this tune gave me a reason to go deeper into my thoughts, share my own experiences about a place I had seen with my own eyes and confidently share a bit of my identity and story. And so, you can say it was a spirited event to actually perform this song live with my band for the first time. 



To grow up in the margins of cross-culturalization is to know a bit of more than one cultural background, practice the mores and behavioral patterns from a bit of each yet to dance to the beat of where you are, because you are there. But to be able to share a piece of what makes you different with people from all walks of life in the atmosphere of a musical gathering, and without fearing being exactly who you are, feels good. 

All I can say is that if you see a beatific smile across my face, it is because the other evening, under the brilliant sparkle of the moon, I turned the musical focus of interest to Haiti and shared a glamorized view of my ancestor’s home through song and had appreciable results. Drums by Richie Johnson echoed through the room as Kenny Alston plucked his bass with fierceness, Prrrl tickled the ivories with peculiar phraseology and Herb Lewis added a nice shaft of light with his saxophone which made me sing my lyrics with a heart of love. Together we performed this song for the first time at Silvana which is located in the Harlem section of New York and I would so love it if you would check it out here.The song is called Saut D’Eau Song and this is the live version that I was telling you about: https://youtu.be/Lls4VddAe_8



Thank you for allowing me to enthrall your attention to the detailed content of my story for just a bit. I admit that I can be a bit dramatic when reporting the good things that happened to me in my daily life, but such is the art of conversation. 

I hope my words did not meet you with a frozen silence, a blank gaze or find you determined to reach to the end of this post without any interest for what was being discussed but rather, that it reproduced a blossom of joy through your mental boundary in some way or another. Everybody is full of opinions which is something that cannot be avoided, I know. Yet still I hope that yours of me, based on this post was a good one. 

I must thank you for allowing this interlude from your song and dance, to waltz into the seductive tempo that is my life. Much love and respect to you!

23 comments:

  1. My church has connections with an orphanage in Haiti so my husband has been there. This song is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful song that is sung from the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it strange how sometimes we just need a small nudge to get us out of a creative rut and into a new direction. Your Mom must be over the moon with the song, it's beautiful. Love the soulfulness of the live version

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a beautiful song and I am so happy to have found it. So heartfelt and full of emotion. Love it

    ReplyDelete
  5. This song is so beautiful! I too, feel so moved when being blessed by a room filled with music. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Artist block gets us all, I get it with painting and I know just how frustrating it is and I totally get what you mean, how we just snap out of it and ideas take over. This is such a beautiful song, so many emotions behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think writing a song is superb! I wish I could. Everyone have something creative inside, it's awesome you know what it is for you

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was lovely to read about your process and story behind the song. It is wonderful. Loved it.

    ❥ tanvii.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really appreciated learning how you wrote this song. It made it that much more special for me to listen to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Music is the one thing that brings the world together! Such a great song. Thank you for sharing your art with us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Music gives us magical healing and learning experience. It is hard to explain in words, but you have to listen and feel it so you can understand its meaning.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have such a gift with words! I really enjoyed reading this. Sounds like your mom knew what she was doing with that nudge and a beautiful song came from it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed the story behind this song and I find it incredibly envious that you can write a beautiful song so easily. Music really is medicine for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a beautiful piece. We all need an extra push sometimes. Loved how you found inspiration through culture. And as a person that has a cross cultural background, I can relate with this post soo much.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so beautiful read, with so many emotions and so much love. I enjoyed the story behind this song, music is really a medicine for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How beautiful that you fulfilled your mom's request. You are so creative and talented. I would love to be able to write songs and sing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Omg I experience writers block every time I have to work on a paper that doesnt inspire me. I am glad you found that in your mom's song.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your article just made me think so much! There is one time in life that for no reason in particular, the roots of your culture want to get deeper in you, and things like creating this beautiful song happens.
    I'm not a song writer, but I'm right now experiencing a return to my roots, that I can't explain, I just feel drawn to all that was my homeland culture, especially its music, I wake up with that imperious need to listen to my folklore music, I can't explain why before I didn't feel this, but it is really awesome. So I understand, it can bring so much good!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am amazed at what artists can do. Even as a blogger, I get writer's block. Finding inspiration on the things around us that are meaningful sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are so talented, and so nice that you put what your mom wanted in a song.

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! you are so talented! I am a poet and I can definitely understand the frustrations of the writer's block. I am glad you wrote that song and you are and should be proud of yourself. Music makes everything a little bit better indeed <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh its sso great that you included your culture into your art. Its important. Keep being expression!

    ReplyDelete