Google

Saturday, August 11, 2018

I is for In Times of Great Stress, Be Inspired

In times of great stress or adversity,
it’s always best to keep busy,
to plow your anger and your energy
into something positive
(Lee Iacocca)

Yesterday, I heard some really, horrible news. A musical mentor of mine whom I loved dearly has left the earth to be with the Lord.

I can’t tell you how sad I am to know that someone I was so dramatically interconnected
with as Wayne Holmes has lived out all the days that had been ordained for him on this earth. He meant a lot to me and I am definitely experiencing a valley today that I didn’t expect to be sinking into.

His Life

He always attacked everything on his plate with grace, enthusiasm and joy.  He always had a big smile on his face whether he was playing his organ at church on Sunday mornings or at various musical venues playing jazz and other genres of music. 


He always seemed to brighten the lives of others with his cheerful demeanor as he applied love and wisdom to everything that he did. I would call him a positive influencer because he served as a positive role model in my life and won my respect and admiration. Who knew that he would fall into a heavy sleep that he would never again awaken from; so suddenly and unexpected at that.

His Death

Last night, I tried not to take captive every thought about the reality of Wayne Holmes no longer being with us. But instead, my mind ran a million miles through the dead of night all the way up until the morning with good memories and sorrowful thoughts about the world ahead without him. A story of woe I guess as I find myself adjusting to the circumstance of the end of a life.

A sad reality it is indeed that in his present plight, all who were affected will now weed in the silence in between the threads of what used to be his voice of valiance speaking wisdom. 

He was such a giving person that every hat that he wore that I loved, he would let me go home with. No more cool hats. :/ 

No more phenomenal chords or great solos by this musical genius. No more worthy advice or words that he'd share that made me happy to hear. 

But nonetheless, I am thankful for having ever crossed paths with him because I learned a few things from him.


His Legacy

Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart,
as working for the Lord, not for human masters,
since you know that you will receive
an inheritance from the Lord as a reward;
it is the Lord Christ you are serving
(Colossians 3:24)


It never took too much for him to get in gear. He sacrificed his time to do what he could to help people and if he decided to brave a situation, he gave all that he had to give. He was always on time and worked with pride and showed he cared about others concerns. He approached life like a warrior in battle and fought a good fight to the end.

I can saturate my mind with good thoughts about him because he was such a humble being. He was a friend. He was a mentor. He was someone who encouraged me to be more because he had so much faith in me. He pushed me into singing jazz and helped me to articulate myself better as an artist. He inspired me to believe in my own talent because he knew that there was so much greater out there for me. 

 And he played musical sets at his gigs that were so irresistible, you could not help but want to watch; especially when he did his tributes to Ray Charles and portrayed the role like none else could with professionalism and gracefulness. He taught me that simply adding a smile to what you do invites people in and has the power to transform someone’s day. The brightness on his face that he was so willing to share with everyone will definitely be missed. 


I smile with pure joy at the fact that he was in my life even though he has left me behind. He took the world by storm, remained in focus of doing his due diligence to make the work that he was on this earth to complete, a meaningful experience. Please smile with me as I pay tribute to his life covering Charlie Chapman’s tune “Smile” performed live with the recently deceased Wayne Holmes on piano and Donald Nicks on bass here: https://youtu.be/neI_I0zgkJ8







I guess I’m rattling off a bit but, now that he is not here with us to receive the flowers he deserved when he was alive, put a damper on my weekend; more than the dampness of the torrential rains hitting New York. 

The death of my good friend has affected my thinking and I can’t help but wrestle with the idea that this musical mentor of mine who would tell everyone that I was like his daughter is gone. It is sad to think we will never again share the musical stage together. He trusted me so much to add me to his musical experiences and got me into singing outside of my comfort zone. 

If it were not for him, I would not sing jazz. If it were not for him, I probably would not have pursued musical pedagogies so that I could know more. His death is a true loss to this world and to my life.  

Today I sit here reflecting and smiling at the good old times of a man who was a like a father figure to me. Thank you for everything. 

Well done Wayne Holmes! RIP!

29 comments:

  1. I am so sorry for your loss, I had not heard of this great musician before but it is always sad to lose a loved one, what a great loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss. I have no words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so sorry for your loss. Wayne was definitely an angel and an example of how we all need to be and live. I am so glad you got to call him your friend. I see why you liked Jack's hat on my post. Take care, Stephanie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so very sorry for your loss, but pray that as you grieve you will continue to remember the many blessings he brought into your life and all the ways he helped you find your way in your journey. Peace be with you as you travel this new path.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so nice to learn the history of someone like this who have impacted the music industry as well as your life. I am sorry for your loss and you are in my prayers. Keep on singing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so very sorry for your loss... you are in my prayers ... DaisyGirl

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry for your loss! You, his family, and his friends are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! It is sad great people leave the earth much faster than we think. Although I havent heard his music i pray for you and his family

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, I am sorry for you loss:( always so sad to loss someone that u love

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about his passing. This is a beautiful tribute to his legacy and impact on your life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am sorry for your loss. It is always very sad when musical soul leaves earth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am deeply sorry for your loss. He seems to be an honorable man. May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sorry for your loss. We're all here for prayers. - Chuck

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am sorry to hear of your loss. It sounds like a massive loss to the music world indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Stephanie, I'm so sorry for your loss and this moment of distress you are living. I hope time will heal you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very sorry of your loss. He sounds like he really had quite an impact on you. I think you going on and living your best life is honoring him everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful tribute to your friend. I am sorry for your loss and hope that his memories fill you with a sense of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So so sad to hear of Wayne Holmes demise but happy he left an impact in your life as well.. May his gentle soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm really sorry for your loss. On the bright side you appear to have gained much from him while he was alive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sorry for your loss. I do like how you saw the positive in all of this. Yes, he passed away and it was an unfortunate event, but he was the reason you fell in love with music and jazz. That wouldn't have happened without him!

    May from La Vie en May

    ReplyDelete
  21. I apologize for your loss...Try to see this time as a season of reflection rather than mourning. When someone passes their legacy has even greater strength when we use it as a time of winning, rather than weeping. Learn from his time on this Earth so yours can be even greater. I think he'd want that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Even with a loss, we can gain so much. Memories, wisdom and good times that we get to hold on to dearly

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the opening quote and it comes to me at a perfect time. I am currently struggling with a stressful situation and will make sure to put this energy into something positive. :)

    Nailil
    http://thirtyminusone.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am so sorry for your loss and I can't imagine how difficult it is for you to move forward. But I am sure he would want you to be happy always!

    ReplyDelete
  25. It's sad when the people who have been such an influence in our lives leave us. But there is a beauty that we still carry them in our hearts just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  26. My deepest sympathy.. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am living to this quote. Keep that positive mind set whatever happens. I am really sorry to hear your story and for your lost. I believe everything has it own reason(s). Look at the bright side.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sorry about your loss. Continue to look at the positives and I’m sending hugs

    ReplyDelete
  29. Nice to learn about someone who inspire you. Music is really something that can ease stress as well as sooth the mood. Hope you continue singing.

    ReplyDelete