Saturday, March 25, 2017

Respect for the March-Born Singers That Influence My Life

Most of my favorite singer’s birthdays seem to be in the month of March.



Their music like verdant landscapes inspiring me with floral essences of sun soaking life and so, I always approached what they had to give with enthusiasm and joy. 

Their songs have growing influence on the world and continue to have lingering effects on my life as a singer, writer and musician.


Recently deceased, Al Jarreau’s was on the 12th of March and I loved the way that he could do almost anything with his voice, and the fact that he would do it with a smile. The smile definitely makes a difference for me.  

Guitarist, songwriter and vocalist George Benson celebrated his on the 22nd of March. Chaka Khan’s birthday was on the 23rd of March. I used to once have a repertoire of songs to sing with my band that consisted of about ten Chaka songs. Her voice is definitely one worth listening to because she sings with attitude and very jazzy, which are two qualities I really love. 

My two favorite singers in the world celebrate their birthday on the same day which is on March 27th; Sarah Vaughan and Mariah Carey which are ironically exactly three months and three weeks away from my birthday. Three is a love number. They both are my biggest influence s in music and I love them dearly. 

Billy Grant, bass player and wonderful singer and friend celebrates his birthday on the 9th of March. The voice that comes out of his mouth is like a stream of silkiness that you would just love. But then out his on a bass and your jaw will drop. He is amazing. Another great friend of mine and fellow singer, Dalthannette Munlin, who has one of the prettiest whistle tones today, celebrates her birthday on the 16th of March. And today is the birthday of Aretha Franklin.

Happy birthday to the fierce and ambitious singer and staple of the music culture, Aretha franklin who created bops for the ages with the most versatile voice and a hinge of royal personality. She is the Queen of soul; nobility without question. I speak of her with candor because she impacted my world in so many ways. Confidence with her voice gesturing with emotion, was her strength. The charming and enchanting sounds of her music are definitely an inspiration.

The following is a cover of the 1967 tune “Respect” which was popularized by the Queen of 


soul, Aretha Franklin. The song was written 

by singer/songwriter Otis Redding and first 

ever sung by Otis Redding in 1965. 


A cover of the popular tune was performed 

live by the Bartlett Contemporaries which 

featured Randall Burney on vocals, Charles Bartlett on trumpet, Carl Bartlett Jr on 

saxophone,  Devorah Evans on vocals, Billy Grant on bass, Stephanie Jeannot on 

vocals, Tony Lewis on drums, Robert Meeks on keys, Robert Stringer on trombone and Arty White on guitar and I want to dedicate it to Aretha Franklin and to all the March-Born Singers that influenced my life.   Check out our performance here: 

https://youtu.be/GgiJHQAcD6Y





Thank you for checking out my blog post. 

19 comments:

  1. Wow I didn't realize there were so many March birthdays! And I love the cover- Respect is such a fabulous classic song!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. Just dawned on me these are so many of my favorites. Thank you for the compliment also. Have a fantastic weekend.

      Delete
  2. I think is wonderful how you salute so many different singers and performers who have inspired you through out your career. Many I actually knew who they are and listen to their music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome. Thank you so much for that.

      Delete
  3. My father used to listen to a lot of these artists when I was younger. Great music from some amazing artists.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's cool to be exposed to some of this quality music that used to mellow out radio listeners back then.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love Aretha Franklin. She is an amazing singer and her songs are timeless! Love your cover!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's awesome to have respect for so many singers birthdays. I was a big fan of Chaka Khan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful post to commemorate all of these brilliant musicians! I'm also a big fan of Mariah, love her voice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's such a great idea to honor all these musicians. Music is a big important part of my life. Checking out new musicians is one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Bday to amazing March Birthdays! I love those songs! They are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't heard of quite a few of them, but happy birthday to them all. March sure is a talented month! - Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's really nice when singers draw inspiration from other singers. You can see the support and love. I'm sure they're all very talented just like you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is a huge list of March birthdays! Happy birthday to all these memorable folks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many March born singers... had no idea. All great ones too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It is interesting that so many famous singers were born in March. Aretha franklin I remember listening to with my grandfather when I was younger. Happy birthday to them all. Thanks for sharing the information.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aretha Franklin is awesome. I could listen to her songs all day. Always puts me in a better mood!

    ReplyDelete
  15. My son's birthday is in march,,maybe he will be musical! Some really great artists in this list!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My birthday is in March, and I grew up appreciating music. I can play some instruments too.

    ReplyDelete