Thursday, March 30, 2017

Day Dreaming and I'm Thinking Of School Daze

Yesterday still rattles like thunder in my heart; this throwback like a stroke of paint from the masterpiece still being wonderfully created in me.

Those were the good old days when life was simple and we didn’t have to worry about anything but the things we would learn in the classrooms, our friends, the fun and games we
would play and the cartoons and shows that resonated with us and were on the television air waves back then like "Family Matters," "Alvin & The Chipmunks" and "Video Music Box."

Those were the good old days when I would sit in the classroom, with my notebook out, writing poetry instead of taking in what my professor was lecturing about. Those were the times when I would daydream about being older and doing what I wanted to do.

And now I’m older and sometimes wish I could go back and relive the simple life where I didn’t have to worry about my steps, work, bills, etc; I guess you can say still in a daydream in a sense but realistic enough to know that each moment, regardless of if we see it in the moment or not, is a blessing from God. It is a true and perfect gift that deserves acknowledgement and to be received with gratitude.



And so, the 1947 popular song, Daydream by John La Touche, Billy Strayhorne and Duke Ellington was an appropriate tune for me to love and to sing at Eric Frazier’s 2017 Winter Fort Greene Jazz Festival. 





“Each day is a present from my father” – Sarah Young

Thankful for each opportunity to sing because the idea of doing it was once also a daydream, and now each time I take the stage, it is as if I am entering into that castle in the sky I once dreamed about being a royal part of. 

28 comments:

  1. Oh yeah, those were the good ole days! Life was so much simpler back then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of that song before! I like to think that life can be easy now if we just let it be... we put more stress on things that just aren't important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great song! I sure did seem like everything was easier when I was a kid. Being an adult isn't as much fun as I thought it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful song. Everything was simpler when I was a kid. I tell my kids to enjoy the simple things now....

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a big reunion coming up and everyone is posting their old pics. Love revisiting all of the school memories. Your song is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful song.
    Life did seem easier back then, but then it didn't seem to easy. 🙂
    Andrea @ mommainflipflops.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful song. Everything was simpler when I was younger. Those were the days

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful song. I love that you're singing and still dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life seems so much easier when you're young - well, at least in hindsight! Glad you made your childhood dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY for pursuing your dreams and making them happen. Life is too short to have regrets and way to go on making the life you want!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how your posts relate real-life experience to a song. It's very reflective and thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gorgeous song! Keep on singing and dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a great song. Sometimes I wish I could go back in time and be a student again. Those really were the days when we were carefree.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful song! I also often daydream of when I was younger... those were the days!

    ReplyDelete